Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2nd email address for website?

After creating a website with iWeb (published through 60 day trial with .Mac), I've been advised that I may not want to use my primary email address on the contact page.

I'm currently using the Mac Mail program that came with our iMac (Earthlink is our ISP).

Would the simplist way be to create a second email address within my Mac Mail account? Is there any reason to create a completely new account?

Thanks

iMac Intel Core 2, Mac OS X (10.4.9), 2GHz,1GB,160 GB. Also iBook G3:900 MHz,640 MB,40 GB

Posted on May 23, 2007 11:22 AM

8 replies

May 23, 2007 1:22 PM in response to motc

I'm not sure about a .Mac trial account but with a paid .Mac account you can have up to 5 "alias" email addresses under the primary account or address at no extra charge. A .Mac account alias email address is not and cannot be created as a separate account with Mail. You create a .Mac alias under your .Mac account preferences via webmail access using a browser.

After doing so, there shouldn't be anything extra you need to do with Mail.

Go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts and under the Account Information tab for your .Mac account preferences, select the Edit Email Aliases button under your .Mac email address field.

You can also purchase an email only account through your .Mac account for $10/yr I believe which can be accessed as a separate account with Mail.

Messages received by a .Mac account alias email address are deposited in the Inbox mailbox for your primary .Mac account. You can send from a .Mac account alias by selecting the alias via the account selection when composing a message.

Or you can use your existing Earthlink email account or create an additional Earthlink account to be used for this purpose. You should be able to create/access up to 5 or 7 different Earthlink email accounts with your primary Earthlink account.

You can create/access an Earthlink account as a POP account with the Mail application or with any email client such as the Mail application.

May 23, 2007 10:46 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Thanks so much for your detailed reply.

Right now, the main reason I'm looking at continuing with a paid .Mac account is for its web hosting capability. I've edited and published my (iWeb created) website a number of times, as well as including mp3 samples, without any problems.

Since we already have email through Earthlink, I don't see the need for the .Mac email. Seems to me it would be simpler to either add an email "alias" to my Mail (the application that came preloaded on our iMac) primary account, or create a new account.

If I understood your reply, I should be able to do either one of these through the iMac Mail application? Do you think creating another account would make me less vulnerable to spam, than simply adding an "alias" to my primary account?

Thank you in advance.

May 23, 2007 10:48 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Right now, the main reason I'm looking at continuing with a paid .Mac account is for its web hosting capability. I've edited and published my (iWeb created) website a number of times, as well as including mp3 samples, without any problems.

Since we already have email through Earthlink, I don't see the need for the .Mac email. Seems to me it would be simpler to either add an email "alias" to my Mail (the application that came preloaded on our iMac) primary account, or create a new account.

If I understood your reply, I should be able to do either one of these through the iMac Mail application? Do you think creating another account would make me less vulnerable to spam, than simply adding an "alias" to my primary account?

Thank you in advance.

May 23, 2007 10:49 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Thank you in advance.

iMac Intel Core 2 Mac OS X (10.4.9) 2GHz,1GB,160 GB. Also iBook G3:900 MHz,640 MB,40 GB

May 23, 2007 11:11 PM in response to motc

You're welcome.

Since it appears your Earthlink email account is your primary account, you can use your primary .Mac email account for your website but regarding .Mac account aliases, the following was copied from .Mac Help:

You can create up to five email aliases to help prevent unwanted messages from being sent to your primary .Mac Mail account or for use with online groups and chat websites. For example, you might want to share your main .Mac Mail address with friends and family only and use email aliases for online registrations, purchasing products, joining mailing lists, and so on. This will help you better manage the email you receive and monitor the sources of unwanted messages. You can even send email using an email alias.

Seems to me it would be simpler to either add an email "alias"
to my Mail (the application that came preloaded on our iMac)
primary account, or create a new account.

As already provided, since your Earthlink email account is your primary account, you can use your .Mac email address for your website or go ahead and create/use an alias for the same but you cannot create another or separate .Mac account. Your existing account is it and you can create up to 5 email aliases at no extra charge. If you want another separate email account, you can purchase an email only account through your primary .Mac account at an extra charge which I believe is only $10/year.

If I understood your reply, I should be able to do either
one of these through the iMac Mail application?

Yes. This following was also copied from .Mac Help:

To set up a .Mac email alias, choose Mail > Preferences and click Accounts. Select your .Mac account and click Account Information. Click Edit Email Aliases to go to the .Mac website. Log into your account. Click Accounts, then click the Add button in the Email Aliases section. Enter a name for the alias and click Create Alias. The alias will then be available in the Account pop-up menu in new message windows.
If the Account pop-up menu doesn't appear in the compose message window, click the Action menu in the lower-left corner of the message header and choose Customize. Select the checkbox next to Account and click OK.
Messages addressed to your .Mac email alias will arrive in your .Mac account inbox.

Do you think creating another account would make me
less vulnerable to spam, than simply adding an "alias" to
my primary account?

It depends on how your email address is used on your website. If you include an Email Me link, you shouldn't be vulnerable to spam but if provided out in the open for anyone to see and for spambots that search the internet for valid email addresses provided out in the open on a website, etc., you will be very vulnerable to spam. But as already provided, if your .Mac email address associated with your .Mac account is not your primary email address and likely won't be, it doesn't matter but this is what email aliases are primarily designed for so I would protect my .Mac email account address in case you decide to make this your primary email address and use an alias instead on your website.

After several moves in a relatively short period of time having to change ISPs and my email address along with it since I formally used my ISP provided email account as my primary address, I now use my .Mac account as my primary email address since when moving and changing ISPs doesn't matter - I can always keep the same email address regardless.

May 24, 2007 8:40 AM in response to Allan Sampson

Thank you again.

I've learned, and continue to learn, so much from these discussion forums; I really appreciate everyone who contributes their knowledge to "computer challenged" people like myself.

You know, I never thought of the changing ISPs & email addresses scenario, as a reason for using .Mac. Good point.

2nd email address for website?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.