Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport random disconnect

So now that I'm home from school I've been using my MacBook Pro in my bedroom and connecting to the internet over wireless. But the airport card keeps randomly dropping signal to my router. Its only the airport too, every other laptop in the house (2) is perfectly fine and never has a connection problem.

This is really annoying, esspecially for when I'm gaming and my connection drops and then I have to manually reselect my network.

Is this a known issue? Is there a quick fix? Any recommendations.

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on May 23, 2007 12:52 PM

284 replies

May 31, 2007 2:54 PM in response to Matti_Boi

Having same issue.

Keeping cordless phones away not helping.

All new devices anyway.

Still have three other Wireless connected Hp PC using linksys usb wireless gg devices and hey do not loose connections....so I am assuming no problem at Linksys router. Really getting annoying that the Network keeps auto switching to either ethernet or the Paralelles NAT.

I see many posts about this issue so I am begining to think that them their airport cards and not playing well for alot of people.

Jun 30, 2007 2:28 AM in response to Matti_Boi

I've starting having this problem lately on my G5. I don't know what's causing it. It just seems to disconnect randomly. Sometimes, it'll be fine for 40 minutes..or an hour, then it just disconnects.

My logs include the following cryptic messages:
Jun 30 04:55:01 Macintosh kernel[0]: AirPort: Link DOWN (AP deAuth 0)
Jun 30 04:55:04 Macintosh launchd: Server 0 in bootstrap 1103 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd"[16021]: exited abnormally: Hangup

and

Jun 30 04:58:45 Macintosh mDNSResponder: Couldn't read user-specified Computer Name; using default “Macintosh-00145126A608” instead

I haven't been able to determine the cause, but it's getting frustrating. Hopefully someone will eventually post a solution.

Aug 8, 2007 7:33 AM in response to Arghhh

I am experiencing the same random disconnects from my wireless station -- even when I am a few feet from the router. This is definitely a software issue and it started to occur after the 10.4.10 update or the Airport update. Here is what is shown in my system log when it occurs:

Aug 8 10:25:01 gmbp launchd: Server 0 in bootstrap 1103 uid 0: "/usr/sbin/lookupd"[13527]: exited abnormally: Hangup
Aug 8 10:25:01 gmbp configd[36]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change
Aug 8 10:25:01 gmbp lookupd[13713]: lookupd (version 369.6) starting - Wed Aug 8 10:25:01 2007
Aug 8 10:25:05 gmbp configd[36]: posting notification com.apple.system.config.network_change
Aug 8 10:25:05 gmbp lookupd[13717]: lookupd (version 369.6) starting - Wed Aug 8 10:25:05 2007

Aug 8, 2007 8:46 AM in response to Matti_Boi

I am having the exact same issue with a brand new MacBookPro 2.2 ghz. Keeps dropping wireless connection. I must restart computer to get connected again. In addition, I am getting very slow response time with the internet.
I have a Dell I have absolutly no problems with. All support keeps telling me is to reload OS. This is getting so very frustrating. Is there a fix to this issue.

No, we are not by a microwave and only have new cordless phone.

Aug 8, 2007 9:41 AM in response to Matti_Boi

About a page back there's another thread about this same problem.

I have the exact same problem. I suddenly have no internet connection, I have to turn AirPort off and then on again.

I have Windows bootcamped on the same machine, the disconnect happens there too, I have to rescan for networks to get it to reconnect.

AirPort has serious issues.

Aug 8, 2007 3:33 PM in response to bgeorge77

If it's happening in both Mac OS X and Windows, that means it's either something in your environment, your router or your machine.

The easiest way to eliminate the latter as a culprit is to make an appointment with your local Apple Store's Genius Bar and take your machine in. If you can surf without issue on the Apple Store's network and their diagnostics turn up nothing, it's not your machine, which points to either your router or your environment.

Make sure that your router has the latest firmware available from its manufacturer installed; that has cleared up similar issues for many people.

Aug 9, 2007 6:55 AM in response to Dogcow-Moof

It may be an environment issue in that this latest Airport update broke compatibility with 95% of the routers on the market. Look at all the threads under the networking sections of these forums -- this is obviously effecting a lot of people and it is not due to a misconfigured router.

I am certain this is an Airport problem because I have had zero disconnects prior to this Airport update and no changes have been made to my wireless network. I have multiple Dell laptops and an iBook G4 that have no disconnect problems on my network. However, I have two MacBook Pro's (one 2.2Ghz and one 2.4Ghz) which exhibit this problem and it didn't start to occur until after this update.

Aug 9, 2007 12:42 PM in response to Matti_Boi

Yup, this happens to me too. I have a MacBook Pro that I generally use plugged-in in the same room as our Airport (errr...don't know what type...it's a white Airport UFO). If I disconnect the MBP from the power to take it into another room, a few seconds later it drops Airport. One way to get it back is to turn off Airport via the menu bar, then put the machine to sleep. I then have to wait a while before waking it up -- I can't wake it up immediately, or this isn't going to work. After waking it, I turn Airport back on and get back to whatever I was doing.

Or, I just reboot, which is a heck of a lot faster.

What's strange is, this disconnect-from-power-and-lose-Airport problem doesn't seem to happen much if I disco from power in other parts of the house. Pretty much only from the power in my office.

Aug 9, 2007 12:48 PM in response to Matti_Boi

I'm hoping that my problems are fixed. I finally got Apple to admit that I have hardware issues and was able to take my system in for repair. The tech found that my card, when working, was getting about 30% signal 6 feet from the router.

Now, I'm getting full signal and he even got 60% from a distance, through a concrete wall. It is my hope that this resolves my system lock ups as well.

Airport random disconnect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.