Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony HandyCam DCR-DVD405 & iMovie

Received a Sony HandyCam DCR-DVD405 as a gift. Two problems: (1) USB not Firewire (2) Format is MPEG-2 and is not recognized by the Mac.

I purchased MPEG-2 converter from Apple and downloaded MPEG Stream Clip v1.8 and was able to convert one short video clip to MPEG and open in QuickTime.

Now, after a couple hours of messing around I can NOT download anything at all, yet I have done nothing different. Error prompts I have received are: (1) can not find first frame and (2) does not recognize and (3) just can't import.

Bottom line is it is bizarre that it worked once and does not now.

It's a pain in the rump to download too -- slow as heck. Is there a generic firewire cable I could buy that would solve this problem? But then again I still have the file format issue.

Suggestions for quick fixes other than purchasing a new camera, which I may have to do.

Help?

- Jeremy

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on May 29, 2007 3:35 AM

7 replies

May 29, 2007 4:30 AM in response to jeremyjsutton

Unusual for a Sony video cam not to have firewire - Sony call it iLink. Have you checked (a) the manual and (b) any sockets that may be covered by a small flap?

If it does, you will need a 4 pin to 6 pin firewire cable, obtainable anywhere. Don't buy Sony's overpriced version!

Then start saving for a 'proper' Sony miniDV tape video camera! 🙂

May 29, 2007 2:51 PM in response to jeremyjsutton

If you read through this site - it's full (well me and a few others) of people who have purchased new Sony Hard disk or DVD format - yep no firewire on USB 2 (great with g4 iMac !) and can' recognise MPEG-2 - I'm still lost and really confused but all recommendations are take the camcorder back to the shops.

This is really bugging me as Mac and Sony are 2 popular brands - Mac big for AV so why is life so hard?

May 29, 2007 3:33 PM in response to jeremyjsutton

It appears you are right, I have been looking at the specs. Although I am not sure what they mean by 'AV in/out cable'.

Basically, this is a reasonable camera for the amateur who just wants to plug it into his DVD player or TV and play back. For anyone who wants to edit the footage on a Mac or be in any way creative it is entirely the wrong model, IMO.

May 29, 2007 5:04 PM in response to jeremyjsutton

Hi,
I've had a Sony Handycam for quite awhile now. I purchased and used successfully DropDV. Real easy and gets the job done....until now.....It has stopped converting video files to NTSC format and for some unknown reason it converts them to PAL and some of the imovie functions don't work.

I downloaded a trial version of Visual Hub and it did the conversion...no problem...it's cheaper too.
Good luck
Bruce

May 31, 2007 4:10 PM in response to Bruce Bauer

Bruce,

Oh thank gawd . . . the Visual Hub program worked quick and easy. No problems. Downloaded the trail. Will pay the $24 and get it . . . easier then trying to sell my camera and buy a new one.

I am ticked I paid $20 for Apple's MPEG-2 Converter. What a waste! I want my money back. Streamclip (which is the audio component of Apple's MPEG-2) says "can't save as MPEG-4" or anything for my Handycam videos, but works for AVIs from my point-n-shoot camera.

Everyone, go with Visual Hub for best bang for your buck.

Jeremy

Sony HandyCam DCR-DVD405 & iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.