Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Return Address on Printing Envelopes

Hi, thought I'd try the built-in envelope printing feature in Address Book and found another anomaly. The return address will combine your address and the spouse entry - OK. But, I've found that it also adds in the father entry. Interestingly, it doesn't add in the brother or mother entry.

This generates the same anomaly if you select your own name to print an envelope, adding not only your spouse's entry, but your father's name as well.

I guess it's back to struggling with Word to print envelopes, but it would be nice if Apple would clean-up/debug printing envelopes within the Address Book. It's so unlike Apple to mess up something so simple.

PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7GHz/3GB/250GB/SD/AE/BT/ATI 9800 Pro (128MB), Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on May 29, 2007 10:28 AM

4 replies

May 29, 2007 5:20 PM in response to woodie

Thanks for the reply.

I went into Address Book (no option to create a new Address Book record in Mail that I could find) and created a new record with just my name and home address. I marked this as My Card (I guessed this is what you meant by make this my home address). I selected Print from File menu in another Address Book record. I clicked on Label tab in Envelopes option, selected my home address. I could see no option to select a different return address, although I did see the other font and color options.

By creating a simpler, duplicate record for myself, I can certainly fake out Address Book and print an envelope. But that's not my point. I could as simply use another application (Word or a dedicated envelopes application, for example) and work through its quirks as well. My point is if Apple is going to allow multiple addresses and names of family members in an Address Book record, I should be able to use them. I've already learned how to waste 20 minutes configuring Word to print an envelope. In an Apple database designed specifically for Addresses, with a selection to print envelopes, it should be no more difficult than selecting specific addresses, envelope dimensions, and print orientation to get it right the first time with no fuss. Being able to modify font sizes, color, drag a graphic on the envelope for customization would be nice, but the fundamentals need to work first.

I posted this question here to find out if anyone else has experienced my issue, confirming this bug in the Address Book, or more hopefully pointing out that I completely missed some not-so-obvious selection that was causing my printing layout problem. Since no one has, I guess the bug stands.

I'm disappointed because when I saw this functionality pointed out today in an online article, I thought I now had a way to stop having to refigure out how to print envelopes in Word three or four times a year when I need to send out a birthday card. It was when I went to try this Address Book feature out that I found it appending my father's name to my return address.

I guess I feel let down. It's a minor issue, and I can certainly create a temporary address to work around it, but it's disappointing that I have to.

May 29, 2007 3:45 PM in response to Dave Marsh

Add another entry in your Mail Address Book with just your info, nothing else. Make that your home address.
Go to print.
Click Label to set a return address and other options. Select "Print my address" and choose an address from the pop-up menu to include a return address. Choose which addresses you want to print from the Addresses pop-up menu. With the other options you can choose the print order, select whether to print the country, choose the color of text to print on the envelope, select a picture to appear in the upper-left corner, and select the font to use.

iMac CD / iMac G3 / in the closet Performa 6115CD / ll SE Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Return Address on Printing Envelopes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.