Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't retrieve saved project

Last year, I created an iMovie on an external hard drive, to save room on my computer's hard drive. Now, when I try to double click on the file's icon, the project does not come up. I've tried opening it directly from iMovie, and opening it by double-clicking, and nothing is working.
What did I do wrong, and how can I access this project?

iMac G5, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on May 29, 2007 10:34 AM

3 replies

May 30, 2007 8:18 PM in response to Melinda Lyons

at one time Imovie would only work in the internal drive. i do not know if this is still true. Why don't you try to transfer your movie back to the internal drive and then try to open it (make sure you have enough space available on your HD before initializing the transfer).

I usualy work on my movies on my internal drive, then I create and burn a DVD. After that, I transfer the movie over to a Seagate external drive, and trash the movie from my internal drive. i have done 14 one hour videos following this method and have no problem opening them in the internal drive.

May 31, 2007 7:43 AM in response to taronger

Thanks for trying, but no - one of my projects works (albeit slowly) on the external, so that is not the problem.

When I try to open two of the projects, I get the message that it can't find a certain list of files in the project, and then there is a shadow message that says "broken link" with a big broken chain link on it...

That's my biggest problem and I can't figure out to restore them to what I had before!! I am very bummed that my husband moved my movies without archiving them first, which is how I understand you are supposed to save movies when you want to move them.

Can't retrieve saved project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.