Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iSync won't sync with my Palm Z22 Handheld

When I try to have iSync sync with my Palm Z22 Handheld I click "enable palm OS syncing..." then it says:

"The HotSync software is not properly installed or it has never been opened. Try opening HotSync Manager (in the Palm folder in your Applications folder), then return to iSync and choose Devices > Enable Palm Syncing again.

If you can't find HotSync Manager, you need to install the Palm Desktop 4.0 or later software. To download the latest versions, go to www.palmone.com"

I followed the directions, but it never works. There is no iSync conduit in the "conduit manager folder" and when I tried to install it off of the apple website it said that the iSync conduit didn't work with isync 2.4, because iSync 2.4 already has the iSync conduit.

Please help, I'm so frustrated!!

Thanks!

MacBook Pro Mac OS X (10.4.9)

MacBook Pro Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on May 29, 2007 2:57 PM

5 replies

May 29, 2007 3:43 PM in response to cbellardo

Welcome to Apple Discussions.

This, or a slight variant of the message you report, is the most common issue encountered with synchronizing a Palm device under OS X. It usually occurs as a result of a user electing to install Mac OS X using the archive and install option.

Here are two methods you can use to correct the problem:

Take a look at the permissions of the folders listed below by selecting each folder, one at a time, and—either using the I key sequence or the Get Info option in the File menu of the Finder—opening the information box for the folder. Your permissions for the folders listed below should appear as described below the pathname to that folder:

For the Macintosh HD:Applications:Palm folder:

Ownership & Permissions

You can: Read & Write

Details

Owner: <shortusername>
Access: Read & Write

Group: admin

Others: Read only

For the Macintosh HD:Library:Application Support:Palm Desktop folder:

Ownership & Permissions

Details

For the Macintosh HD:Library:Application Support:Palm HotSync folder:

Ownership & Permissions

Details

You can either reset those values manually, [then restart and recheck them to be sure that they are set correctly] or use the Terminal application by typing these strings listed below this example—substituting your short user name—as shown below:

sample: "sudo chown -R <shortusername>:admin /Applications/Palm"

actual: "sudo chown -R michaellafferty:admin /Applications/Palm"

…where michaellafferty is the <shortusername> in my case. Be sure to pay attention to the spaces in each string, and the direction of the / or \ [forward and back slash] characters.

Here are the appropriate Terminal entries. Each is is shown bulleted below, but actually begins with the term sudo:

• sudo chown -R <shortusername>:admin /Applications/Palm

[NOTE: at this point, you'll be asked to enter your login password]

• sudo chmod -R 775 /Applications/Palm
• sudo chown -R < shortusername>:admin /Library/Application\ Support/Palm\ HotSync/
• sudo chmod -R 775 /Library/Application\ Support/Palm\ HotSync/
• sudo chown -R < shortusername>:admin /Library/Application\ Support/Palm\ Desktop/
• sudo chmod -R 775 /Library/Application\ Support/Palm\ Desktop/

Again, pay particular attention to the spaces and to the \ characters, as both are critical to the syntax of these commands. Remember to place your actual shortusername in the string where the < shortusername> placeholder is shown, as in the sample above. [Do not include the < and > characters around your actual shortusername.]

As a Palm user, don't elect to archive and install Mac OS X unless there is no other method to do so which insures that your applications and data are preserved.

May 29, 2007 5:58 PM in response to cbellardo

It likely does. You should enable administrative privileges temporarily for that account if the Palm Desktop is installed into the non-administrative user account.

If it is installed as it normally should be so that all users could use work with it, then just log into the existing administrative account instead and execute the original instructions.

iSync won't sync with my Palm Z22 Handheld

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.