Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to restore from a G4 Powerbook to a new MacPro

I wish to upgrade to a MacPro or new MacBook.

The hard drive on my PowerBook G4 packed up a while ago. After replacing the hard drive I was able to add the whole system to the new Powerbook hard drive from an external hard drive I'd backed the original system to.

So, my question is does anyone know whether it is possible to transfer the whole system to a new MacBook or MacPro in the same way I was able to transfer my whole system in the way just outlined.

I ask this in case there is an issue with the new Intel Processors when trying to do this.

If anyone knows I'd be most grateful.

Regards,

Billy.

15 Powerbook 1.5Ghz, Mac OS X (10.4.8), Lower memory slot not working.

Posted on May 30, 2007 8:36 AM

4 replies

May 30, 2007 8:42 AM in response to Thompsound

No - your moving from PPC OS and applications to Intel Universal Binary.

You can transfer your data and preference settings with Migration Assistant (but avoid importing any applications, those need to be reinstalled).

Buy a 2nd SATA drive and clone your original system before you make changes, you'll be glad you have an emergency boot drive to use with Disk Warrior and such.

Search for "Migration" on the forum.

May 30, 2007 11:17 AM in response to Thompsound

I wish to upgrade to a MacPro or new MacBook.

The hard drive on my PowerBook G4 packed up a while
ago. After replacing the hard drive I was able to add
the whole system to the new Powerbook hard drive from
an external hard drive I'd backed the original system
to.

So, my question is does anyone know whether it is
possible to transfer the whole system to a new
MacBook or MacPro in the same way I was able to
transfer my whole system in the way just outlined.

I ask this in case there is an issue with the new
Intel Processors when trying to do this.

If anyone knows I'd be most grateful.

Regards,

Billy.

Is it possible? Of course it is. The thing is will the transfered OS be stable and free of erratic behavior?

That question has been answered by a few as NO. I tried it by transferring my Power Mac G5 system over to my Mac Pro.

It worked but I was experiencing some odd behavior. I would do as the Hatter says. Backup your drive (clone) it onto a new drive in your Mac Pro or onto an external drive. Just to pull things off of.

You can of course try it and let us know what happens.

I ended up doing a clean install on all my applications and I do not regret it...

Good luck!

William

Jun 9, 2007 5:09 AM in response to Thompsound

Thank you for your assistance guys,

When I get my Mac Pro I'll give these suggestions a go.

If you all read this perhaps you could help me with this related issue:

I've just bought a Mac Mini (1.42 GHz PPC G4 OS10.4) from a friend and wish to restore from the same back-up volume I mentioned in my original question (a bootable back-up on a firwire drive of my G4 Powerbook 1.67GHz).

When I attempt to restore from the firewire drive I am told that:

An error (16) occurred while copying (Resource busy).

For some reason there does seem to be some activity on my eternal drive but it's not being asked to do anything...

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Billy.

Is it possible to restore from a G4 Powerbook to a new MacPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.