Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BPF injection

I am using OSX 10.4.9 power-pc Darwin Kernel Version 8.9.0

I am trying to use the BPF api to capture and inject packets. Essentially, I need raw access to the Ethernet network. The problem I am encountering is that when I inject a packet using a write() command, subsequent read() commands see the injected packet. I tried avoiding this using the BIOCSSEESENT which disabled capture of all locally generated packets. But it only worked for the OS-stack generated packets, and not the packets I was generating via the bpf write() function.

Looking at the FreeBSD kernel, they solve the problem using a BIOCFEEDBACK setting, which disables the capture operating bpf-read()ing the packets you put in via bpf-write().

My questions are:
1. Is there some BIOCFEEDBACK equivalent on the MacOS that I am unaware of?
2. If not, is there some way I can edit the BPF source code on this version of the kernel, and run my own BPF?
3. If not, what is the proper way to request Apple to fix this shortcomming?

Thanks
-David

Powerbook G4 Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on May 31, 2007 9:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2007 11:58 PM

You'll probably get an intelligent response at the Unix forum http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=735
3 replies

BPF injection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.