Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Outgoing mail doesn't work

I just got my iMac and haven't used the Mail program before. My incoming mail works great but my outgoing doesn't. I've run the Connection Doctor and it confirms that the outgoing doesn't work. I've checked the server id and it looks fine. Any ideas?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Jun 1, 2007 7:26 PM

3 replies

Jun 1, 2007 9:14 PM in response to Pamela Wilson

check your port settings under mail preferences. Go to preferences (under the Mail pulldown) and on preferences go to the server settings tab. Under server port enter "587". Uncheck the "Use SSL" box. Set authentication at "password" and make sure your username is set (your email account, eg "name@sbcglobal.net" and enter your password. Hopefully that will work.

Jun 2, 2007 5:12 AM in response to Pamela Wilson

Is this email account and SMTP server provided by your internet service provider used for connecting to the internet?

If not, all ISPs now block the use of SMTP servers that are outside of their network or not provided by the ISP on Port 25 which is the default or standard port used for SMTP servers.

Some ISPs allow the use of an authenticated SMTP server only that is outside of their network on Port 25 but some block its use regardless.

If this email account and SMTP server is not provided by your ISP, you can try changing the server port for this SMTP server from 25 to 587 - Mail > Preferences > Accounts under the Account Information tab for the account preferences. Select the Server Settings button below for this SMTP server. Enter 587 in place of 25 in the Server Port field and when finished, select OK to save the changed setting.

If this doesn't work and this account and SMTP server is not provided by your ISP, you need to contact your ISP regarding their required settings for using an SMTP server that is outside of their network or you can use your ISP's SMTP server to send messages with this account.

Outgoing mail doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.