Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Access Mac Laptop

A friend called me just now. A friend of his has just suffered a traumatic brain injury and his wife needs to access his laptop. They asked me if I know how to gain access as his friend obviously can't now.

In searching the forums, I find a lot of info about file sharing over networks, but my question is about simply logging into the laptop all together.

Is there a way? If this info is somewhere online already, and I can't imagine it isn't, I just couldn't find it among all the network access posts. Sorry.

Thanks,
Steven

G4 Quicksilver 867 mhz, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Jun 3, 2007 4:39 PM

3 replies

Jun 4, 2007 11:37 AM in response to Steven Shmerler

Steven,

You can also boot into single user mode by starting the laptop and holding down command S. After you are in single user mode type 'sh /etc/rc' (without the quotes) Now type 'passwd username' to change the password of any account on the laptop, where username is the name of the account.

This works on MacBook, MacBook Pro and Intel Macs. I haven't tested this on G4 or G5 Macs.

Can't Access Mac Laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.