Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nokia and iSync

Why do some Nokias work well with iSync and others do not?

In response to a recent post of mine, one respondent said his N91 worked great and another person said his E70 did not work well at all?

Can anyone explain this discrepancy?

macbook black - ibook g4 - mini, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Jun 6, 2007 4:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2007 4:54 AM

Some of it can be explained by different people's different expectations of what iSync and their phone are capable of.

Some people don't realise that iSync can only do things that the phone is actually capable of, and then blame iSync if things don't work exactly how they think it should work, due to limitations in their phone.

Instead of using iSync and their phone as it was intended, they try to get it to do things it was never intended to do. Or they expect it to do things that are illogical or unreasonable.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2007 4:54 AM in response to starbarista

Some of it can be explained by different people's different expectations of what iSync and their phone are capable of.

Some people don't realise that iSync can only do things that the phone is actually capable of, and then blame iSync if things don't work exactly how they think it should work, due to limitations in their phone.

Instead of using iSync and their phone as it was intended, they try to get it to do things it was never intended to do. Or they expect it to do things that are illogical or unreasonable.

Jun 6, 2007 3:03 PM in response to starbarista

What kinds of things are people expecting to happen that are not happening?

I want to make sure my expectations are not too high. This is what I expect to happen:

The phone to sync every time I ask it too.

I don't want the hassle of having to pair and unpair and pair again the handset to the computer to get them to work together.

I expect the calendar interface of the handset to accurately represent what is represented in iCal. And for it to be easy to enter data in to the handset's calendar interface.

I want ALL data fields of Address Book to transfer over to the handset. Name, Company Name, multiple phone numbers, email, postal address, notes.

If this is what I expect of iSync which handset should I get?

macbook black - ibook g4 - mini Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Jun 6, 2007 4:02 PM in response to starbarista

The phone to sync every time I ask it too.

Of course! 99% of the time this should always be the case, and in my experience with Sony Ericsson phones is always the case. It's impossible to guarantee perfect syncing 100% of the time. Like any computer file, data corruption is a (rare) possibility. However, in over 5 years of iSync-ing Sony Ericsson phones, I've only had a few minor issues which I sorted out in a few minutes.

I don't want the hassle of having to pair and unpair and pair again the
handset to the computer to get them to work together.

You should never have to do this. Pairing once is enough. I've personally owned 8 Sony Ericsson handsets and had access to and used dozens more, and only ever had to pair them once on each computer I've used them with.

I expect the calendar interface of the handset to accurately represent what
is represented in iCal. And for it to be easy to enter data in to the handset's
calendar interface.

Due to the different screen sizes between a phone and a Mac, you'll never get a totally accurate representation of what's in iCal. It just isn't possible on such a small screen. Also, most mobile phones show multiple calendars from iSync on a single calendar in the phone.

However, I find the Calendar in Sony Ericsson phones to be excellent. I've never had any issues, and entering data is as quick and easy as I would expect. Just a few button presses and typing to set-up events.

I want ALL data fields of Address Book to transfer over to the handset.
Name, Company Name, multiple phone numbers, email, postal address, notes.

All the current Sony Ericsson models will sync the following:

Address Book data:
First & Last Name
Mobile Number
Home Number
Work Number
Fax Number
Other Number
Home Address
Work Address
Home Email Address
Work Email Address
Other Email Address
Website Address
Birthday
Address Book Notes

iCal data:
Event title/subject
Event location
Event start time/duration
Event date
Event note/description
Event alarm
All day events
Repeating events

To-Do title
To-Do priority
To-Do completed
To-Do due date
To-Do alarm/reminder
To-Do note

If this is what I expect of iSync which handset should I get?

I would recommend any of the current (non-Symbian) Sony Ericsson models.

From the Apple supported models, the K800i has the best spec (higher-res screen and camera).

Then there are an additional 19 models supported by iSync Phone Plugins from here.

The K800 and K810 have 240x320 resolution screens.

The Contact and Calendar functions are pretty standard across the whole Sony Ericsson range, and all will sync all the data listed above. Some of the lower end models don't differentiate between Home, Work & Other Email Addresses (although it syncs all of them, it just doesn't say which is which!).

Another thing to be aware of is that the fields in the Contact data do have character limits. For instance, Name is limited to 62 characters. Street, City, State, Zip Code. etc are 25 characters each. Web Address is 120 characters.

Personally, I've been using both a K800i and K510i for the past year, and have just got a W610i as my day-to-day phone. Although the W610i is technically lower specification than the K800i, I actually prefer it because its smaller, thinner and not so chunky!

It's also very easy to set-up Sony Ericsson phones as a modem for internet access for your Mac. They play (DRM-free) iTunes tracks no problem, you can use them as a Bluetooth Remote Control for your Mac (see Salling Clicker), and SMS and manage Calls direct from the Mac Address Book on them.

Jun 7, 2007 2:39 AM in response to starbarista

Julian,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a well considered and informative post. You have helped me make a decision to go back to Sony Ericson.

A few years ago I had a k750i and was trying to iSync it with my iBook via a D-link dongle. It almost never worked properly. I kept getting advice on this message board that I had to un-pair and pair again. In retrospect this may have had to do with the fact that my computer did not have native bluetooth. There were other things that did not work well either. Your post has basically covered those issues and it looks as if things are looking better with Sony Ericson and bluetooth.

Nokia and iSync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.