Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get rid of adsonar.com?

In Terminal, using the w command, I was surprised to see...

bdaqua:~ bdaqua$ w
13:21 up 2 days, 22:13, 2 users, load averages: 2.27 1.98 1.59
USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE WHAT
bdaqua console ads.adsonar.com Mon15 2days -
bdaqua p1 ads.adsonar.com 11:51 - w

Any ideas where that is coming from?

Posted on Jun 7, 2007 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2007 1:34 PM

Assuming your machine isn't 'ads.adsonar.com' then I'm guessing you've followed one of the hacks to block that ad server on your machine by adding it to /etc/hosts.

The reason I'm guessing that is because the terminal is just showing you the reverse lookup of your machine's IP address. If you've added ads.adsonar.com to your /etc/hosts (which will prevent browsers such as Safari from accessing their ads) then the machine is perfectly entitled to think that your machine is ads.adsonar.com (you did tell it that, after all 🙂 )

As for solutions? either ignore it (it's purely superficial/cosmetic), or remove ads.adsonar.com from your /etc/hosts file and deal with the ads (if any).
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2007 1:34 PM in response to BDAqua

Assuming your machine isn't 'ads.adsonar.com' then I'm guessing you've followed one of the hacks to block that ad server on your machine by adding it to /etc/hosts.

The reason I'm guessing that is because the terminal is just showing you the reverse lookup of your machine's IP address. If you've added ads.adsonar.com to your /etc/hosts (which will prevent browsers such as Safari from accessing their ads) then the machine is perfectly entitled to think that your machine is ads.adsonar.com (you did tell it that, after all 🙂 )

As for solutions? either ignore it (it's purely superficial/cosmetic), or remove ads.adsonar.com from your /etc/hosts file and deal with the ads (if any).

How do I get rid of adsonar.com?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.