Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to restore from external bootable drive

Thank you for your assistance guys,

When I get my Mac Pro I'll give these suggestions a go.

If you all read this perhaps you could help me with this related issue:

I've just bought a Mac Mini (1.42 GHz PPC G4 OS10.4) from a friend and wish to restore from the same back-up volume I mentioned in my original question (a bootable back-up on a firwire drive of my G4 Powerbook 1.5GHz).

When I attempt to restore from the firewire drive I am told that:

An error (16) occurred while copying (Resource busy).

For some reason there does seem to be some activity on my eternal drive but it's not being asked to do anything...

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Billy.

15 Powerbook 1.5Ghz, Mac Mini 1.42GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.8), Lower memory slot not working on Powerbook.

Posted on Jun 9, 2007 5:27 AM

3 replies

Jun 9, 2007 10:11 AM in response to DaddyPaycheck

As long as both computers have Mac OS X 10.4.8, the same version of Mac OS X will work on both types of computers. We have a single image at work with Mac OS X 10.4.8 (PowerPC, not Intel) that runs on 400MHz PowerBook G4s, 1.67GHz PowerBook G4s, QuickSiver G4 towers, 2.7GHz G5 towers and 1.4GHz Mac minis.

I would wonder what software you're using to restore to the Mac mini. You can't use the Disk Utility to restore from the drive you're booted from. To do that, you'd need a third party utility like SuperDuper! Or does the Mac mini already have Mac OS X installed an you're trying to use the Migration Assistant?

-Doug

Jun 11, 2007 11:16 AM in response to Thompsound

Thanks helpful folk,

I've sorted it out myself though and the responses weren't entirely accurate. Perhaps all the details you needed weren't there...

I had a bootable back-up of my PowerBook (running OSX10.4.8) on an external firewire hard drive.

I connected this to my Mac Mini (which previously had Mac OSX10.4 installed) and booted up from the external drive.

In Disk Utility I then 'restored' from the bootable drive I'd booted from to the Mac Mini erasing all data previously on the Mac Mini.

This has worked like a charm and my new Mac Mini looks and feels just like my PowerBook with all account settings just as my PowerBook.

I'm now tweaking it for the family but the basic job is done.

I've put up this post in case others need this issue resolved in the future and stumble across this post.

Many thanks once again for all the response,

Billy.

Unable to restore from external bootable drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.