Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes music folder location on network under Vista inaccessible

I recently got a new computer with Vista 32bit installed. My iTunes library is on a windows server on the network. I have the latest version of iTunes installed (7.2.0.35).

When I try to set up my library I am unable to set up my music folder location. When I click on the little arrow next to "Network", iTunes appears to be doing something but a few seconds later the arrow disappears and no network locations are available. If I right click on Network and Explore I can see all of my network shares but still can not get them to appear under the Network location.

Does anyone have any hints?

Thanks in advance.

Windows Vista

Posted on Jun 14, 2007 6:58 PM

6 replies

Jun 14, 2007 7:16 PM in response to GoHerdIBG

With XP, the easiest way to setup iTunes to work on network is to map the library folder on network drive to a drive letter. Then set iTunes to use the mapped drive location as the library location. Have no idea how to do this with Vista.

When doing this make there is one precaution to keep in mind. Before opening iTunes you need to ensure windows has renewed the drive mapping. I do this with a shortcut to the network folder on the desktop. If you start iTunes and Windows has not renewed the mapping then the library location will default back to default.

Jun 14, 2007 7:18 PM in response to GoHerdIBG

I don't know if this will help, because I simply SHARE a library (via wireless) from my main XP computer to my new Vista laptop. But I have discovered that everything needs to be fresh for Vista to load the library. By that I mean--you have to close down all open iTunes applications. Then re-open them on each machine--or in this case your server. Then try to get your Vista machine to load the library.

If I don't close and re-open everything, Vista tries for a few minutes to load the shared library and then it simply reverts back to nothing! It doesn't even see the shared library at this point--so further trouble-shooting is not possible.

I apologize if this isn't applicable to a server-shared library.

Jun 15, 2007 3:58 AM in response to camoracer

I knew I left some info out. Previously, I did map a drive (Z: for example) and was able to add all of my music.

However, the one problem I had is that I have quite a few playlists which are all based on the old pathing information such as \\servername\music instead of z:\music. Unforunately, I have quite a few media centers around the house which share the same playlists (m3u's) and the media centers also map the music as \\servername\music so changing the pathing in the playlists is not a viable option. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the help.

Jun 20, 2007 5:44 AM in response to GoHerdIBG

I just got Vista 32-bit, too, and I'm having this same problem. Any suggestions? I was wondering if I could try to edit by hand one of the XML configuration files saved by iTunes. I did try this, but I must not have made the correct edit; it didn't take.

I just want to set the iTunes music folder to \\server\Music, the way I could under XP.

Other thoughts?

Dell Windows Vista

Aug 6, 2007 3:38 PM in response to GoHerdIBG

I had been suffering from the same problem for a few weeks since my fiance reinstalled Vista. I was at my wit's end until I found a relatively simple and brainless fix.

In Vista, open your network path that contains all of your mp3s which you want to add to iTunes. Using your mouse, just drag the folders onto your opened iTunes window! It will lag out for a minute, depending on your computer, but it transfers all songs into the playlist!

Voila!

Hope that helps!

Aug 6, 2007 4:03 PM in response to GoHerdIBG

You are not alone. After Vista I too wasn't able to set the Music folder to

\\MCORED-PC\Music

in iTunes.

Will you allow write access to \\MCORED-PC\Music? Otherwise you really don't have to set the music folder location there.

If you are only playing from other PCs, which is also recommmended, you can just drag \\MCORED-PC\Music to other PCs in the network and manage your X:\Music from you PC locally.

iTunes music folder location on network under Vista inaccessible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.