Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound volume level changes by itself

Has any one else had a problem with the sound level increasing by itself? I have my volume set to the middle of the scale, but seemingly at random the level will increase to nearly full blast, which is no fun when wearing head phones.

This isn't just some songs in iTunes being louder than others. I have the volume in the menu bar and can see that the level has increased.

Does anyone know what might cause this? Is there a work around?

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Jun 15, 2007 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2007 10:38 AM

Try resetting your SMC and PRAM.

Resetting the System Management Controller >>

Reset PRAM:

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound (bong) for four times.
6. Release the keys.

- Bmer
Mac Owners Support Group
Join Us @ MacOSG.com
iTunes: MacOSG Podcast
 An Apple User Group  User uploaded file
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2007 10:38 AM in response to edlitmus

Try resetting your SMC and PRAM.

Resetting the System Management Controller >>

Reset PRAM:

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound (bong) for four times.
6. Release the keys.

- Bmer
Mac Owners Support Group
Join Us @ MacOSG.com
iTunes: MacOSG Podcast
 An Apple User Group  User uploaded file

Jun 22, 2007 8:35 AM in response to edlitmus

This problem has come back. The only thing that I can think of is that it only happens when I am working in the office (I normally telecommute). When I am working at home I have my MBP hooked up to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse and have the volume up almost all the way. The difference in the office is that I have an external keyboard and mouse but no external monitor and I use headphones.

I suppose I could only be noticing the problem when using headphones, but I am not sure.

Jun 22, 2007 8:36 AM in response to edlitmus

This problem has come back. The only thing that I can think of is that it only happens when I am working in the office (I normally telecommute). When I am working at home I have my MBP hooked up to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse and have the volume up almost all the way. The difference in the office is that I have an external keyboard and mouse but no external monitor and I use headphones.

I suppose I could only be noticing the problem when using headphones, but I am not sure.

Jun 22, 2007 6:13 PM in response to edlitmus

Since I updated to 10.4.9 the volume has behaved much better than before. There is 1 setting for the MBP speakers and another for when you plug headphones or speakers into the jack on the side. You could try and see if the volume is going back to the level it was at before you pluged your headphones in.
One other thing, upon a reboot the volume level is reset to 3/4 full for both settings which is a bit annoying but not that much of a hassle
I hope this helps

Sound volume level changes by itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.