Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud sign in issues on Mac

I have changed my Apple ID username from a gmail.com address, to my icloud.com address.

Phone is working perfectly, macbook air show signed out of icloud, and icloud does not appear in the internet accounts list.

When I try to login to icloud, i get a notification to say I'm already signed into icloud on this device, and I should delete icloud from internet accounts, and login again.

As mentioned above, icloud is not in the internet account list, and if I click + and attempt to add it, I go back into this circle again.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 7:00 AM

Similar questions

15 replies

Jun 30, 2020 2:26 AM in response to port_mobile

Your iPhone and Mac are connected with same Apple ID and password , in your iPhone use the original primary Apple ID to again sign in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204053

In Mac , in your screen shot in system preferences > you can click on cancel , now take cursor in the dead end corner and delete the Apple ID , there must not be a single character in the field , use delete button of your keyboard .

Now you have to sign the exact Apple ID and password of your iPhone ( it depends what account was created to sign in , the secondary authentication account or 2FA ) , the steps will vary for both accounts .

You don't need to go to system preferences > internet accounts and delete them by clicking on subtract sign .

Jun 29, 2020 8:53 AM in response to port_mobile

You didn't touched the settings in iPhone ( the Apple ID is signed in iPhone ) , what you did gone to Mac opened system preferences > iCloud and signed out and then tried to sign in with new mail address from system preferences .

As you said - Can now no longer sign into iCloud on my Mac, as Mac says I’m signed in already. ---it is correct the iPhone and Mac are still connected and the devices are not separated from Apple ID account .

You mean before I changed the email address on my primary Apple ID i should have signed out of iCloud on everything?====yes see the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT208242

Can not sign out of iCloud on phone, username / password no longer recognized. ----the iPhone is still connected to the Apple ID account .

Seriously I never tried this way of signing out , the devices .

Right now I would suggest contact senior apple care advisors in apple support https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

That is sure a way can be found out with out resetting iPhone and reinstalling Mac .

Jun 29, 2020 8:15 AM in response to tygb

Thanks for reply.

You mean before I changed the email address on my primary Apple ID i should have signed out of iCloud on everything?

changed the email address of primary ID only.

Can now no longer sign into iCloud on my Mac, as Mac says I’m signed in already.

Can not sign out of iCloud on phone, username / password no longer recognized.

Jun 29, 2020 8:50 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thanks for the reply.

The change was of the primary email address only.

(Go to AppleID webpage and change is allowed, and easy.)

No need for the email address to have been associated before the change.

Once done, I realized I was no longer signed in at iCloud preferences on my Mac.

On attempting to sign in, I got the exact same error shown above, “this iCloud account is not the primary, go to internet accounts, delete iCloud, click the + sign, select iCloud, sign in again.

This I tried.

On signing in to new iCloud account, got message it still exists.

Only it doesn’t.

Restart loop, repeat.

:(

Jun 29, 2020 9:52 AM in response to Ohmto

The iPhone is still signed with Apple ID and password ( it could be using some mail services ) , in Mac click on cancel button ( in your screen shot of Mac ) what exactly do you see is Apple ID showing with password .

What is the mail address signed in iPhone ---- which mail services is used , post back like say example1@gmail.com

In Mac , when you click on cancel ---which mail services is used ( say example2@icloud.com ) don't post your real mail address .

Jun 30, 2020 11:00 AM in response to port_mobile

I am not sure if terminal commands are permissible , the method what I suggested was only manual I applied in a phone and Mac .

The Apple ID was signed in iPhone , in Mac you signed out , but it was not allowing to sign out as it was connected with iPhone ( synced with Apple ID ) .

Please post that terminal command here what exact steps were followed .

iCloud sign in issues on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.