How do you turn off mute and unmute on AirPods?

Every few times I connect my AirPods, it pops up and says like “you can mute and unmute a call by pressing once, and leave a call by pressing twice” and no matter how many times I close it it’ll just show it again later. Anyone know how to turn this off? (They’re 3rd gen AirPods if that helps)

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 12, 2023 5:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2023 8:28 AM

Honestly. This along with multiple other very bothersome/ridiculous issues the ios 17 update brought that they haven’t fixed asap. I get this pop up everytime I take one airpod out to hear something. It makes you legitimately question if they even tested their features before releasing them.

24 replies

Jan 2, 2024 2:21 PM in response to IdkWhatToNameThisLol

I was able to get the notification to stop by telling my phone to forget this device. Then I re-paired the headphones by hitting that reset button on the back of the case. I had hit this button several times but didn’t realize the case has to be open while you push button. You watch the opposite side for green light to turn white. Then the annoying notification stopped on my generation 3 headphones.

Jan 23, 2024 8:36 AM in response to ttpayton

Yes you can change it back as you showed us and then if the notification pops up again it automatically changes to default

press once for mute

press twice for end call

I have made so many times the change that I can do it without looking the screen and I’m at the point of thinking to change to android!

Apple fix this issue right away , it’s annoying and as a person who makes a lot of calls daily I don’t have the time to change it everyday

How do you turn off mute and unmute on AirPods?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.