How to disable iCloud without losing data?

Macbook Pro 14" running Sonoma.

When try to backup, MacOS says folder myusername cannot be copied because it needs to be downloaded. It seems to think that my home directory is in the icloud. But it is not. It is physically on my MacBook's hard drive.

I want to completely divorce my MacBook from iCloud. But I am afraid to turn iCloud off in Settings for fear that it will wipe my home folder.

QUESTION: How to disable iCloud and any use of it by apps WITHOUT losing data.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 12, 2024 9:32 PM

5 replies

May 12, 2024 10:31 PM in response to ojohns

do You optimize storage in settings? Then some files may not be on your Mac. Your iCloud files remain on your Mac and are synced to iCloud. If you optimize, some files may need to be downloaded.

FWIW, you may just be getting an error in attempting to copy the home folder by drag and drop. I’d use Time Machine to backup instead and see if you get an error.

May 13, 2024 8:28 AM in response to muguy

Thank you muguy. Please bear with me. Could the reason that I get the "file needs to be downloaded" message when I try to copy my home folder be that some apps are marked for iCloud sync in SystemPreferences? For example, Photos is marked for iCloud sync and Photos\ Library.photoslibrary is in homefolder/Pictures.

This brings up a crucial question. If I remove Photos from the list for iCloud sync, will that delete the Photos Library from my MacBook?

May 21, 2024 5:11 PM in response to ojohns

Found a way to backup. Not a solution to the "file needs to be downloaded" problem, but a work-around.

(1) Enable root user

(2) Sign on as root.

(3) In System Settings : Privacy & Security : Full Disk Access set Terminal.app for full disk access

(4) Plug external usb drive WD into Macbook Pro. See WD icon on desktop.

(5) Make new directory in WD named myusername

(6) Still as user root, open Terminal app and run the following:

ditto -V /Users/myusername /Volumes/WD/myusername

That makes a full backup, including hidden files like Library

How to disable iCloud without losing data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.