Apple Watch SE not detecting gym equipment

I have an Apple Watch SE 40 MM that I had just gotten recently. Everything is set up the same as my boyfriend’s Apple Watch however it is not able to detect the gym equipment at my local planet fitness. Whenever I put the watch close to the detector, it beeps and acts like it’s doing an Apple Pay transaction. It is not the same sound as when you connect via the workout app on the watch. I have already checked everything settings-wise. The “detect gym equipment” toggle is on and the watch, phone, and applications are all updated. Is there an issue with the new watchOS 10.5 beta update that could be causing this?

Posted on May 13, 2024 7:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2024 2:46 PM

I’m on the Ultra 2 and now the watch won’t connect to Planet Fitness equipment. The PF equipment will beep like it’s connecting and then keep beeping forever without actually connecting. Only way to get the equipment to stop beeping is to unplug it.

I’m on 10.5

19 replies

May 19, 2024 6:00 PM in response to HipsterDoggo

My Apple Watch SE automatically upgraded itself to watchOS 17.5 a couple of days ago. Today I opened the workout app for the first time since the upgrade and got the message. I was standing outside my house and was preparing to go for a walk around my neighborhood, so no gym equipment or anything else that I am aware of with an NFC chip, unless it was a credit card or something.

May 19, 2024 9:02 PM in response to HipsterDoggo

Mine is an Ultra. I tried it on my PF, and it didn't even beep. The people that work there have no idea how to even connect the Apple Watch to any of their machines they have that connect to wearable. I decided to go to a different PF that has the newer Matrix treadmills that actually has the "connect to Apple Watch". signage on the machine and all it did was beep constantly. Never got it to connect. I'm also on the latest update, but I never attempted to connect with a previous version.

May 29, 2024 6:19 AM in response to HipsterDoggo

I have the same issue for weeks now. Whenever I tap the watch to the machine, the equipment starts to beep endlessly and you have to unplug it to make it stop. Talking to the staff is pointless since nothing happens. Obviously the machines need updates but no one will address it. My suggestion would be to make all machines beep so that PF will get forced to do something about it.

Apple Watch SE not detecting gym equipment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.