Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Unable to receive calls when using CarPlay

Hi, When my iPhone 11 is connected through CarPlay to my BMW I am unable to receive incoming calls, although I can make them. All other apps work fine.

If I attach my phone through the BMW iDrive I can make AND receive calls.

I've tried forgetting the car through the iPhone settings. I've also tried forgetting the iPhone through the car settings. I've then restarted both the phone and the BMW systems and reconnecting the phone, but nothing seems to work.

Any ideas as to what else I can try?

Thanks.

iPhone 11

Posted on May 18, 2024 3:33 AM

5 replies

May 18, 2024 4:49 AM in response to DsmnBruce

Sometimes glitches like this can be a bit tricky to solve. Here are a few steps you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve temporary software glitches. Turn off your iPhone, wait for a few seconds, and then turn it back on.
    1. Restart the device. That's it.
    2. Still not solved --> Force restart iPhone - Apple Support
  2. Ensure that CarPlay is set up correctly. Go to Settings > General > CarPlay on your iPhone and check if everything is configured properly.
  3. Sometimes, restrictions or parental controls might limit call functionalities. Check Communication limits
  4. Check Cellular Data: Ensure that your iPhone has a strong cellular data connection. You can check this by looking at the signal strength indicator on your iPhone's screen. If the signal is weak or absent, try moving to a location with better coverage.
  5. Check Car's Connectivity: Make sure that your BMW is properly connected to the internet. Some cars have their own built-in internet connectivity, while others rely on your phone's connection via Bluetooth or USB. Check your car's manual or settings to verify its internet connection status.
  6. Update Car Firmware: Just like with Bluetooth connectivity, updating your car's firmware may improve its ability to connect to the internet. Check with BMW for any available updates for your car's infotainment system.
  7. Contact BMW Support: If the issue persists after trying these steps, contacting BMW support for further assistance would be advisable. They may be able to provide more specific troubleshooting steps or identify if there are any known compatibility issues between your devices.
  8. Reset Network Settings: Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings: Only network settings are removed.
    1. When you reset network settings, previously used networks and VPN settings that weren’t installed by a configuration profile or mobile device management (MDM) are removed. Wi-Fi is turned off and then back on, disconnecting you from any network you’re on. The Wi-Fi and Ask to Join Networks settings remain turned on.
    2. To remove VPN settings installed by a configuration profile, go to Settings > General > Profiles & Device Management, select the configuration profile, then tap Remove Profile. This also removes other settings and accounts provided by the profile. See Install or remove configuration profiles on iPhone in this guide.
    3. To remove network settings installed by MDM, go to Settings > General > Profiles & Device Management, select the management, then tap Remove Management. This also removes other settings and certificates provided by MDM. See “Mobile device management (MDM)” in the iOS Deployment Reference.
    4. Reset your Network Settings. Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.
  9. If the issue persists, you can try resetting all settings on your iPhone. This will not erase your data but will reset all personalized settings to their default values. Go to Settings > General > Transfer & Reset > Reset > Reset All Settings and confirm the action. Note that you will need to reconfigure your settings afterward. All settings—including network settings, the keyboard dictionary, the Home screen layout, location settings, privacy settings, and Apple Pay cards—are removed or reset to their defaults. No data or media are deleted.
    1. Reset All Settings: Return iPhone settings to their defaults - Apple Support:- Return iPhone settings to their defaults
    2. You can return settings to their defaults without erasing your content.
    3. If you want to save your settings, back up your iPhone before returning them to their defaults. For example, if you’re trying to solve a problem but returning settings to their defaults doesn’t help, you might want to restore your previous settings from a backup.
  10. Make sure you have the latest updates installed.
    1. Update Over-the-Air (OTA) —> Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (IN)
    2. Update using iTunes/Finder —> Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support (IN)

If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it is recommended to reach out to Apple Support or visit an authorized service center for further assistance. They can provide specific guidance based on your device model and iOS version.

1. If none of the above steps work, you may consider backing up your iPhone and performing a factory reset or restoring it from a backup.

If the issue persists after trying these steps, it might be worth contacting Apple Support or visiting an Apple Store for further assistance, especially if it's a recurring problem with CarPlay functionality.

May 18, 2024 4:43 AM in response to DsmnBruce

What Call? On an iPhone, you can make and receive various types of calls. Here are the different types:

1. These are standard voice calls made over the cellular network. They utilize your carrier's voice network to connect you with other phone numbers. Allow phone calls on your iPad, iPod touch, and Mac
  2. FaceTime Audio allows you to make voice calls over Wi-Fi or cellular data using your internet connection. It provides higher audio quality compared to traditional cellular calls.
  3. FaceTime Video enables you to have video calls with other FaceTime users. It uses the front or rear camera on your iPhone to transmit live video during the call. Use FaceTime with your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support (IN)
  4. VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) calls use internet connectivity to make phone calls. Apps like Skype, WhatsApp, Viber, and Google Hangouts utilize this technology, allowing you to make voice and video calls over the Internet.
  5. Some carriers support Wi-Fi calling, which allows you to make and receive calls over a Wi-Fi network instead of relying solely on cellular coverage. This can be useful in areas with weak cellular reception. Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling - Apple Support (IN)
  6. The App Store offers numerous calling apps that utilize different technologies. These apps can provide additional features and options for making calls, such as international calling, call recording, and more.

It's important to note that the availability of certain call types may depend on your iPhone model, iOS version, and carrier.

May 21, 2024 7:14 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thanks again. Tried a few of these suggestions but when it got to resetting All Settings it seemed a little drastic! BMW Support not being very helpful either. I still can't receive calls when in CarPlay mode. One thing I noticed is that when I'm connected via CarPlay, no signal is shown on the car's screen AND on the iPhone under 'Bluetooth' it says it is not connected to the car - although it clearly is, because I can use  the iPhone apps. 

When I'm connected via the BMW iDrive a strong signal displays on the car screen and the iPhone Bluetooth says it is connected. 

Any thought?

Thanks in anticipation.

Unable to receive calls when using CarPlay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.