Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Are the SD card readers uhs-I compatible?

I have incredibly old sd cards (UHS-I) that I am trying to get all of my pictures and videos off of. I have a MacBook Air M1 that I’m hoping to download them onto.

The Apple usb-c sd card reader specifies that it reads UHS-II cards but is backwards compatible with other sd cards, so does this mean it will also read the UHS-I cards?

I’m not super familiar with sd card language and everything I’ve tried to search online states that you can use a UHS-II in a UHS-I reader, but doesn’t ever specify if it will still work the other way around.

Im sure its a silly question, but I would just like to make 100% certain that it will work before I spend the money and figure out it doesn’t work.

thanks all for the responses in advance :)

Posted on May 20, 2024 8:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2024 10:59 PM

While I was looking at this question Kizumi responded to answer your question.

In addition, I found this video on YouTube which explains the difference between the SD cards UHS-I and UHS-II (which is Ultra High Speed 1 and Ultra High Speed 2). In the video the presenter also mentions what Kizumi has said, that an adapter can be used to read SD cards rated as UHS-I or UHS-II.

This is what Apple means in the specs for the adapter being backward compatible - where older technology can be used with newer technology.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2024 10:59 PM in response to Ghost0401

While I was looking at this question Kizumi responded to answer your question.

In addition, I found this video on YouTube which explains the difference between the SD cards UHS-I and UHS-II (which is Ultra High Speed 1 and Ultra High Speed 2). In the video the presenter also mentions what Kizumi has said, that an adapter can be used to read SD cards rated as UHS-I or UHS-II.

This is what Apple means in the specs for the adapter being backward compatible - where older technology can be used with newer technology.

May 20, 2024 10:24 PM in response to Ghost0401

yes! that is absolutely UHS-I compatible.

you see, the UHS-II adds function upon the physical fundament of UHS-I, adding more contact points below the original ones, removes nothing; which means any UHS-II reader could read a UHS-I card (your case), and any UHS-I reader could read a UHS-II card (yet at a slower speed).

be assured it will work!

Are the SD card readers uhs-I compatible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.