Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

"Restored" new iPad from iPhone. Apps copied, but folders not.

It's awesome that it's possible to transfer settings and apps to a new iOS device automiatcally. By why oh why can folders not be transferred? I have HUNDREDS of apps, and now I have to manually recreate the folder structure, which will take hours. This seems like a crazy oversight...

Posted on May 21, 2024 12:47 PM

12 replies

May 22, 2024 8:20 AM in response to EuanPreston

As the iPad and iPhone differ considerably in screen layout, the Home Screen locations and/or App-folder structure are intentionally not restored when restoring an iPhone backup to an iPad (or vice versa).

By contrast, when restoring an iPhone backup to an iPhone - or an iPad backup to another iPad - the Home Screens layout and App folders are restored.

May 22, 2024 12:16 PM in response to EuanPreston

EuanPreston wrote:

I’m referring to iOS app folders.

Does this mean internal folders that the app provides, over which you have no control and should have no interface other than through the app, or does it mean folders you created and/or used to supplement the app’s data and augment what is stored with and associated with the app?

The former is the app developer’s responsibility. The latter is your responsibility, and should be stored in some other independent folder structure.

"Restored" new iPad from iPhone. Apps copied, but folders not.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.