Battery problems

Hi, I’ve had my iPad for a while and in the past month it has started to switch itself off when the battery is reading upwards of 50% and when turned back on the battery icon shows and the battery is reading 50% plus and within seconds it’s dropped to 20% or less and switches itself off again, this has only started since the last update, I am in Malta and getting to an apple shop is a nightmare as I’m in the south of the island and the shop is at the other end end of the island any advice grateful thanks

iPhone 6s, iOS 13

Posted on May 21, 2024 1:03 PM

3 replies

May 21, 2024 3:21 PM in response to GillMalta

As described, your iPad battery may have a fault, or may be reaching the end of its usable life. If the battery has failed or is failing, the iPad may unexpectedly turn-off - or may not successfully boot to a running state even when connected to its Power Adapter.

Are you able to use the iPad while remaining connected to your Power Adapter? If yes, while monitoring the indicated battery state, disconnect the Power Adapter; if the indicated battery state suddenly falls, or the iPad shuts-off, this test demonstrates the iPad battery having reached the end of its usable life:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

Before committing to a repair, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from Apple Support - and request a remote battery diagnostic test. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page.

Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases from Apple devices using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

Battery problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.