Related Article: If you can't add a card to Apple Wallet to use with Apple Pay

Credit and Debit cards not added to Apple Wallet on a single device - iPhone 15 Pro

I've seen this happen to a couple of people but so far no resolution.

The error I keep getting is "Card Not Added" which is not in this list of error messages. I've been trying to work with the banks and Apple on this issue with no resolution. None of my credit or debit cards will go on to my iPhone 15 Pro - every other device, even my backup 14 Pro works.

I've even sat with an Apple Genius trying to get this to work again but even they are stumped as to why a single device won't add my cards to Apple Pay.

The only thing I've noticed is that for one of my cards there is an extra number for verification that I do not recognise. It's not entered as part of my bank profile and the bank confirmed they do not have any other number on file.

I have my Apple Card and Apple Cash and all loyalty and transit cards but if it's a Debit Card or a Credit card is just gives me the "Card not Added" error.

iPhone 15 Pro

Posted on Feb 24, 2024 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2024 7:15 PM

Update in case anyone is searching in the future:

Apple came back and confirmed two things: 1) Not being able to add my Apple Account balance to my wallet is a bug they are aware of and will likely fix in a software update 2) Not being able to add credit cards is being caused by rejections from the Network (VISA/MASTERCARD/ etc).

In the meanwhile, last night I was able to randomly add all my credit cards and apple account balance to my Apple WATCH successfully without having to call anyone. I was happy with this because I could use Apple Pay like normal finally.

Trying to add credit cards to my iPhone wallet continued to return "cannot add card". I tried one of the tricks mentioned on this forum yet again - disable my passcode, then enable it again - and that allowed me to add some of my cards to my iPhone wallet via the "Previous Cards" section of the wallet. However, I was still required to call the bank to complete verification, something they were actually able to do!

So overall I am unable to identify a specific solution. It may be a combination of time, resetting things on your phone/watch, and calling your bank. I am now in an acceptable state of being able to use Apple Pay for the most part. If the issue ever completely resolves, I will update.

45 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2024 7:15 PM in response to CodeCrafty

Update in case anyone is searching in the future:

Apple came back and confirmed two things: 1) Not being able to add my Apple Account balance to my wallet is a bug they are aware of and will likely fix in a software update 2) Not being able to add credit cards is being caused by rejections from the Network (VISA/MASTERCARD/ etc).

In the meanwhile, last night I was able to randomly add all my credit cards and apple account balance to my Apple WATCH successfully without having to call anyone. I was happy with this because I could use Apple Pay like normal finally.

Trying to add credit cards to my iPhone wallet continued to return "cannot add card". I tried one of the tricks mentioned on this forum yet again - disable my passcode, then enable it again - and that allowed me to add some of my cards to my iPhone wallet via the "Previous Cards" section of the wallet. However, I was still required to call the bank to complete verification, something they were actually able to do!

So overall I am unable to identify a specific solution. It may be a combination of time, resetting things on your phone/watch, and calling your bank. I am now in an acceptable state of being able to use Apple Pay for the most part. If the issue ever completely resolves, I will update.

Mar 14, 2024 10:03 AM in response to DeAndreFam

Please create your own thread. It gets impossible to help people when multiple people participate in another persons troubleshooting thread. While the error message may be the same, the solution can easily vary and it spams the other community member with posts and solutions they have already tried. If you create your own thread, you’ll get assistance.

Feb 25, 2024 4:46 PM in response to CodeCrafty

That’s not research, that’s unsubstantiated. There’s not supporting evidence. The bank is using a third party verifier and that’s there internal mechanism for measuring potential fraud.

>>Provisioning Apple Card

Information may also be provided by Apple to Goldman Sachs or Mastercard to enable and set up your Apple Card on Apple Pay, and to prevent fraud. The information shared is no different from when you provision any card with Apple Pay, and may include:

• The name and billing address associated with your Apple ID
  • General information about your Apple ID, iTunes, and App Store account activity (for example, whether you have a long history of transactions within iTunes)
  • Information about your device and, if using Apple Watch, the paired iOS device (for example, a device identifier, phone number, and the name and model of your device)
  • Coarse location at the time you add your card (if you have Location Services enabled)
  • Account or device history of adding payment cards
  • Aggregated stats relating to the information from payment cards you’ve added or attempted to add to Apple Pay

To help you set up cards that you have, or have recently had, on other devices, Apple stores a card reference with your iCloud account that can be used with the card issuer or payment network to re-add the card after entering the security code.<<

Legal - Apple Card & Privacy - Apple

The article I quoted is specifically about Apple Card Mastercard, but as you see, Apple also references other cards when added to Apple Pay.

May 16, 2024 12:58 AM in response to ertutoprak

That’s only partially accurate, at best.

>>Information that you provide about your card, whether certain device settings are enabled, and device use patterns—such as the percent of time the device is in motion and the approximate number of calls you make per week—may be sent to Apple to determine your eligibility to enable Apple Pay. Information may also be provided by Apple to your card issuer, payment network, or any providers authorized by your card issuer to enable Apple Pay, to determine the eligibility of your card, to set up your card with Apple Pay, and to prevent fraud.<<

Apple Pay security and privacy overview - Apple Support

This is an example of a typical decesioning process.

Feb 25, 2024 3:44 PM in response to Jeff Donald

I didn't say that. It seems that Apple assigns device trust scores to devices, and this score is transmitted from apple servers to bank servers as part of the auto verification process. So if the device score is "not good" or whatever, the banks will either auto reject or maybe they will require manual verification. To add, I also can't add my apple account balance to my phone, but I can add it just fine to my apple watch just fine. Device scores are mentioned at these links:

Legal - Apple Music & Privacy - Apple

Can't add ANY cards to apple Wallet on mo… - Apple Community

How do I Fix device score of 01 so I can … - Apple Community

Mar 12, 2024 4:00 PM in response to anthony.ikeda

Sorry, but what doesn’t make sense is why you’re looking at SIM cards? The wrong phone number is with either a bank or a payment network (Visa, Mastercard etc) or a third party verifier like LexisNexis. Your SIM or cellular provider have nothing to do with this.

Please read all the comments/posts in this thread.

Apple wallet issues - Apple Community

Mar 12, 2024 5:28 PM in response to anthony.ikeda

The issue is the user (you in this instance) is getting advice from multiple sources. Your basic tier 1 support personnel at a bank doesn’t understand how Apple Pay works or an iPhone works. Yet users encountering more complicated issues prefer listening to the bank as opposed to people that understand Apple Pay and iPhones.

I can propose a solution that will almost definitively point to the issue and confirm it’s not a hardware (iPhone issue) but a bank or payment processor/network issue.

Go online and create a new Apple ID. Don’t worry your existing Apple ID and associated data are safe. Make sure you know your password etc.

Log out of your old/existing Apple ID and log into the new ID.

Restart your device.

If the card adds, it’s a bank issue.

If it doesn’t add, it’s an Apple issue.

This method is very accurate. What’s it prove? The issue is outside what Apple can resolve without the co-operation of the bank and/or the payment network.

I know this is harsh. I wish there was a way to express it less bluntly. I never intend to insult, just resolve issues.

If you’re game, I'm willing to assist any way I can. If you’re near an Apple Store, they can assist. Apple Support online/phone can assist too. You can point any Apple Support person to this thread too. Here’s the link,

Credit and Debit cards not added to Apple… - Apple Community

Take some time to mull it over and I’m happy to continue to discuss and/or explain.

Mar 12, 2024 5:19 PM in response to anthony.ikeda

Those sound like two different issues:

1. The "cannot add card" is a bit of a random problem, where you can try a bunch of resetting tactics and calling your bank and waiting an unspecified amount of time until things start working again.
  2. I don't have the watch with a cellular plan, but the Apple Watch eSim is something that your carrier should be able to set up. Can you perform a complete reset of the watch (deleting the esim), and then working with your provider to add it back to the watch?

Credit and Debit cards not added to Apple Wallet on a single device - iPhone 15 Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.