Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

IOS 17.4.1 update stuck

IOS update 17.4.1 stuck on new iPhone 15. No status bar. Says "update requested". Tried deleting update and requesting it again. No change. Phone is 100% charged and is also connected to WIFI. Picked up this new phone this at 10 a.m. this morning. It's 2 p.m. and the update still says 'update requested' but doesn't show any update status.

Posted on Apr 11, 2024 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2024 5:45 PM

Same problem, Apple. Brand new iPhone 15 bought today won't upgrade to iOS 17.4.1. Stuck on "Preparing Update..." for up to 6 hours so far and counting. Even after a hard reboot (vol up, down, hold power) it still won't advance through the process. Yes it's fully charged and plugged in and on WIFI. Help please!

92 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2024 5:45 PM in response to BeasleyGirl

Same problem, Apple. Brand new iPhone 15 bought today won't upgrade to iOS 17.4.1. Stuck on "Preparing Update..." for up to 6 hours so far and counting. Even after a hard reboot (vol up, down, hold power) it still won't advance through the process. Yes it's fully charged and plugged in and on WIFI. Help please!

Apr 11, 2024 6:16 PM in response to BeasleyGirl

Hey, I was having the same problem. Just bought the 15 plus, stuck on “update requested”. I think I may have figured it out though. I reset my phone as new but didn’t delete my eSIM. I didn’t sign in with my icloud, didn’t make a password or set up anything at all except the wifi. Then I went into the settings & downloaded it from there. Then it finally let me update it. Took about 25 minutes then another 15 to restore from icloud. After it updated, I reset it then added my icloud. No more requesting update screen since it’s already updated :) I think the problem is that when you’re transferring from a higher update it gets stuck because it’s operating on a lower update if that makes sense. I hope this helps you or anyone else having this problem. Apple tech said you can use iTunes on mac or pc but unfortunately that didn’t work for me.

Apr 12, 2024 2:59 AM in response to BeasleyGirl

I was able to get around this without connecting to a pc. Had to restart the process and reset/wipe my new 15 pro multiple times.

when setting up the phone from the start, don’t link it to anything at all. Not the old phone, no Apple ID, nothing. Just connect the WiFi as needed. in doing this, it didn’t prompt me to update. Just fly through, deferring the set-up of everything “until later”

after that the phone let me set up as blank device with the bare bones apps and settings. I went in and updated to the 17.4.1. That took about 10 min. After verifying the software update was up to date, I went to settings, general, transfer or reset iPhone, and erased all settings.

I went back and set the phone to my old back up via iCloud, and everything loaded just fine. becuase I had downloaded and installed 17.4.1 before resetting my iPhone

Apr 12, 2024 4:28 AM in response to BeasleyGirl

I had the same issue with my new IPhone 15 Pro yesterday and was able to set up today successfully by following these steps (keep in mind I use windows PC)

1- Set up your phone without restoring data from cloud or another phone (3rd option)

2-Sign into your ID and access your phone

3- Open ITunes from PC, make sure iTunes has latest Update

4- Connect your new phone to laptop/PC to connect to ITunes

5- After IPhone is identified in ITunes it will either ask you to automatically update to new IOS or you will have to manually choose it from setting (it works either way)

6- After download is completed, it will automatically install it on your phone (it took me 40 min to complete, upgrade size was 8GB and my connection was slow)

7- After new IOS is successfully downloaded on your phone, make sure to check it from general, software update (it will state your phone has latest version)

8- Sign out of apple ID

9- Go to General, transfer or reset phone

10-Erase all content and settings and confirm

11- IPhone will restart again and restart the process of setting up the phone

12- choose the option of transferring data from your other iPhone or restore from cloud (I chose to transfer from my old iPhone)

That’s it.. it will transfer data successfully and not ask for IOS update again

TIPS..

1- If you have already downloaded the software and it’s stuck, make sure to delete it from iPhone storage before starting this process

2- If your download is painfully slow (2 or 3 hours) then reset network settings! It worked for me straight away

Good luck.

Apr 11, 2024 11:02 PM in response to BeasleyGirl

kylemcgeek Said:

"IOS 17.4.1 update stuck: IOS update 17.4.1 stuck on new iPhone 15. No status bar. Says "update requested". Tried deleting update and requesting it again. No change. Phone is 100% charged and is also connected to WIFI. Picked up this new phone this at 10 a.m. this morning. It's 2 p.m. and the update still says 'update requested' but doesn't show any update status."

-------

Try Updating using a Computer:

Refer to my user tip: How to Fix an iPhone in a Boot Loop - User Tip

Apr 11, 2024 7:21 PM in response to BeasleyGirl

I purchased my new iPhone 15 Max Pro and ran into the same issue trying to transfer data from my old phone. it would not move past trying to install 17.4.1. I connected the iPhone 15 to my mac and launched MUSIC selected devices / iPhone 15 / sync to get to status screen to check for updates. Was FINALLY able to update phone to 17.4.1 manually through my imac. very frustrating end to a day i was excited to purchase my new iphone.

IOS 17.4.1 update stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.