Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

iPad battery drain while not using

Hello

So i left my ipad at 20% last night. .And when i woke up this morning, it was switched off and i found it was completely power-drained.

The battery lasts pretty good at other circumstances and I checked there were no apps draining battery in the background. The battery usage chart is also shown below. How could it drain that way?

It is an iPad 9th generation which I bought 6 months ago only(brand-new).

please help….Also, will it affect my battery in the future?

Posted on Jan 11, 2024 7:59 PM

1 reply

Apr 29, 2024 1:35 AM in response to akushal86

The behaviour that you describe is most likely attributable to a stuck/hung background process. However, there is insufficient information to make a definitive diagnosis as to cause.

Perform a forced-restart of your iPad - as this will often clear an isolated software issue:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

After the restart, fully charge your iPad - and then monitor performance over the coming days.

Speaking of personal experience - assuming that your iPad battery is otherwise healthy - the issue is perhaps unlikely to recur. I have myself seen a similar event only one or twice in the last ten years (across multiple devices).

iPad battery drain while not using

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.