Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a MAC Desktop Pro mid 2012. OS is Mojave . My Bluetooth key board and trackpad constantly disconnect and connect. Neither stays connected for more than a couple of minutes. Any suggestions where to trouble shoot this problem?

What could be causing the constant Bluetooth interruption with my key boas and trackpad?

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 8:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 8:45 AM

You're welcome.

If rebooting your Mac doesn’t fix the problem, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It takes longer to safe boot so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and do other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do.  Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's normal.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode? 

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again after a normal reboot.

And here are a couple other things to try if that doesn't work.

Try resetting the NVRAM. The NVRAM is a special memory section on your Mac that stores data that persists even when the Mac is shut off, such as volume settings and screen resolution - it's the information the computer uses to maintain settings after a reboot. You might do each several times as that is sometimes necessary, apparently.

Reset the NVRAM

How to Reset NVRAM / PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset the SMC

How to Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2021 8:45 AM in response to Steve33458

You're welcome.

If rebooting your Mac doesn’t fix the problem, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It takes longer to safe boot so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and do other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do.  Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's normal.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode? 

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again after a normal reboot.

And here are a couple other things to try if that doesn't work.

Try resetting the NVRAM. The NVRAM is a special memory section on your Mac that stores data that persists even when the Mac is shut off, such as volume settings and screen resolution - it's the information the computer uses to maintain settings after a reboot. You might do each several times as that is sometimes necessary, apparently.

Reset the NVRAM

How to Reset NVRAM / PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset the SMC

How to Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Jul 19, 2021 8:53 AM in response to Steve33458

I take it you mean an iMac?

One of the most common causes of that behavior is radio interference. See

Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

I have few such issues at home except for one seldom-used device. However, I volunteer at a museum and the volunteer desk is "ground zero" for the building's tech. In addition to two sets of wireless input devices, there is the facility's wireless router, wireless phone base station, a wi-fi enabled printer, and my cell phone, all either on the desk of within15 feet of it. Directly behind the desk is the main wiring mesh for the separate public wifi system for the park were the museum is located.

It is a Bluetooth mess.

So look around your work area and see what wireles gear besides your input devices are close. Try a bit of rearranging and test.

EDIT: Your followup was not showing when I startied typing, but chek for other nearby wirless devices including appliances is still a viable step.

wood desk

Did yo have a metal desk before? That could have shielded some devices from signal interference.

I have a MAC Desktop Pro mid 2012. OS is Mojave . My Bluetooth key board and trackpad constantly disconnect and connect. Neither stays connected for more than a couple of minutes. Any suggestions where to trouble shoot this problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.