Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Mail Icon doesn't show number of unread emails on iPhone

I've solved this before. But it keeps happening. I make sure Badges is turned on - turn the phone off and on - it works, then - after a bit (no pattern), it disappears again!

Posted on Jul 13, 2023 11:47 AM

11 replies

Jul 13, 2023 9:16 PM in response to SMB1128

It can be frustrating when you encounter the same issue repeatedly despite previously finding a solution. In this case, the problem seems to involve the badges on your phone. Even though you've turned on the badges, they disappear again after some time without any discernible pattern.

To troubleshoot this issue, you can try the following steps:

1. Check App Settings: Verify that the specific app's notification settings have badges enabled. Sometimes, apps have individual settings that override the system settings.
  2. Clear App Cache: Clear the cache of the affected app by going to the app settings and selecting the option to clear cache. This can help resolve any temporary data-related issues.
  3. Update the App: Ensure that you have the latest version of the app installed. Developers frequently release updates to address bugs and improve performance, including notification-related issues.
  4. Restart or Force Close: Restart your phone or force close the affected app to refresh its settings and clear any temporary glitches.
  5. Check System Updates: Make sure your phone's operating system is up to date. System updates often include bug fixes and improvements that could address issues with badges.

If the problem persists despite these steps, you may want to consider reaching out to the app developer's support team for further assistance. They can provide more specific guidance or investigate the issue if it's a known bug.

Remember that technology can sometimes be unpredictable, and it's not uncommon to encounter intermittent issues. Stay patient and continue troubleshooting, and hopefully, you'll find a lasting solution.

Jul 19, 2023 6:52 AM in response to SMB1128

SMB1128 wrote:

The Mail APP? Isn't Apple the developer? Otherwise, I did all the things you suggest. I keep turning Badges off and on, in Mail Settings and regular Settings, turning the phone off and on, and everything's fine, and then - after a while - no pattern that I can detect - the number disappears again!

Yeah, the previous answer was a generic copy/paste from an AI. It doesn't specifically address your issue.

Have you checked Focus/Do Not Disturb? Do you have anything set up? Have you gone to Settings>Notifications>Mail>Customize Notifications (all the way at the bottom) and made sure that you have all of your accounts selected? Also, in Settings>Notifications>Mail, what do you have set for Notification delivery, Immediate or Scheduled Summary?

Mail Icon doesn't show number of unread emails on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.