Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Transfer files from iphone to mac

Hello. I am transferring files from an iPhone to a MacBook Pro. When connecting it with a cable, it appears as an external device. In the Files tab, I can choose what I want to transfer, but the issue is that when I expand the main folder, I see the subfolders, but I can't open them to select only some files. It only lets me drag the entire folder. Is there any way to choose which files to transfer?

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 5, 2023 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 6:22 AM

I find "Photos" awkward and annoying. I don't load to icloud either. Look for Image Capture in the Finder "applications" folder or in Launchpad in the "OTHER" Utilities folder. Try it if you have it. It's really just a bare bones simple transfer utility. You can set it to open directly when you plug in your iphone, select all or individual photos and then tell it where to save them. . I love it.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2023 6:22 AM in response to nanosegundos

I find "Photos" awkward and annoying. I don't load to icloud either. Look for Image Capture in the Finder "applications" folder or in Launchpad in the "OTHER" Utilities folder. Try it if you have it. It's really just a bare bones simple transfer utility. You can set it to open directly when you plug in your iphone, select all or individual photos and then tell it where to save them. . I love it.

Aug 5, 2023 10:38 AM in response to nanosegundos

You mean in the Finder? Select the iPhone in the Sidebar, then click on Files?

This will only show you the files that are handled by each of the apps in the iPhone.

You can click each ">" to disclose, but AFAICT there are no subfolders to speak of.

You could use the Files app on the iPhone to organize you content. This uses iCloud, and these same files are accessible directly on your mac by clicking iCloud Drive in a finder window sidebar.

Aug 6, 2023 3:56 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I use a Camera App called BeasCam. It generates two subfolders in the phone, Video and Photo. What I want is to transfer some clips from the video folder, but when i connect the phone with the cable, in the finder I can open the subfolders, so I only can transfer the full folder. I have recorded a huge quantity of videos but I only want to transfer some. Via Airdrop is not very useful because it's slow with large files and select so many clips makes slower the process.

If I could open the subfolder with the Finder, It'd be perfect.

thanks

Aug 7, 2023 8:26 AM in response to nanosegundos

Is it "BeastCam" by any chance? I cannot see any app called "BeasCam".

It seems odd that you see these two folders, I am guessing that this may be due to the particular way the app stores its recordings. I have never seen any folders inside each iPhone app's files.

I use a different camera app, and the one I use (Filmic Legacy) has a setting that allows one to use the built-in Camera Roll. If yours lets you do that, then you can use Image Capture to copy exactly what you want to your mac. Maybe that is a workable solution for you.

Transfer files from iphone to mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.