Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iMac Pro (mid-2011) as 2nd monitor

I have a connected my MacBook to my mid-2011 iMac. when both machines go to sleep, the connection disconnects. How can I make it more permanent for the imac to be the second monitor?

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2020 2:04 PM

Try setting the 2011 iMac to Never Sleep and let the Macbook Sleep.

see the fifth parragraph at > Use your iMac as a display - Apple Support

Learn what happens when the primary Mac goes to sleep and wakes up

The external display iMac behaves differently depending on how the primary Mac goes to sleep.

• If you put the primary Mac to sleep: After you put your Mac to sleep, the external display iMac goes dark for a few seconds and then displays the windows for its own open apps. If it doesn’t, press Command-F2 on its keyboard.
  • If the primary Mac goes to sleep because it was idle: The external display iMac goes dark and stays dark. If you want the external display iMac to display the windows for its own apps, press Command-F2 on its keyboard.
  • If the external display iMac doesn’t show the right desktop after it wakes up: When the primary Mac wakes up, the external display iMac displays the windows for the open apps on the primary Mac. If it doesn’t, press Command-F2 on the keyboard of the external display iMac.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2020 2:04 PM in response to DanG502

Try setting the 2011 iMac to Never Sleep and let the Macbook Sleep.

see the fifth parragraph at > Use your iMac as a display - Apple Support

Learn what happens when the primary Mac goes to sleep and wakes up

The external display iMac behaves differently depending on how the primary Mac goes to sleep.

• If you put the primary Mac to sleep: After you put your Mac to sleep, the external display iMac goes dark for a few seconds and then displays the windows for its own open apps. If it doesn’t, press Command-F2 on its keyboard.
  • If the primary Mac goes to sleep because it was idle: The external display iMac goes dark and stays dark. If you want the external display iMac to display the windows for its own apps, press Command-F2 on its keyboard.
  • If the external display iMac doesn’t show the right desktop after it wakes up: When the primary Mac wakes up, the external display iMac displays the windows for the open apps on the primary Mac. If it doesn’t, press Command-F2 on the keyboard of the external display iMac.

Jun 8, 2020 7:05 PM in response to DanG502

I have my late 2009 and late 2006 stay in target display mode for my gaming pc and mac pro and they stay in target display mode unless i hit command F2 again, they never sleep on their own and stay as standalone monitors so it might be a certain setting you have enabled on one of them? try turning off sleep after a certain amount of time on the imac in energy preferences

Using iMac Pro (mid-2011) as 2nd monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.