Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Workout maps gone in iOS 14?

Are workout maps gone in iOS 14? I used to be able to view a map of bike rides, walks, etc. in previous versions of iOS. It was one of my absolute favorite features in the Fitness app!

Please tell me it isn’t so! I would be so disappointed 🥺

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Sep 16, 2020 6:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2020 7:19 AM

Same here.

No Maps from iOS 13 Workouts showing at all, on new iOS 14 workouts, if I'm lucky I'm getting a map with a single pin on the starting point, but no route information. Tried with Outdoor Walk and Cycle.

GPS is working though since thats the only way to measure an Outdoor Cycle.

664 replies

Sep 17, 2020 8:35 AM in response to PabloMJ

I'd suggest unpairing and re-pairing the watch. I'd also send feedback to Apple. If it's something a lot of people are seeing, the more who report it, the more likely Apple is to look into it. You can use the feedback link or contact Apple using the Contact Support link at the top right of every page of these forum.

Product Feedback - Apple

I'd also keep an eye on the forums to see if any other threads show up.

Sep 29, 2020 12:10 PM in response to Mapsgone

Nothing in 7.1 beta 2 either, apparently. https://developer.apple.com/documentation/watchos-release-notes/watchos-7_1-beta-release-notes

It's possible that these updates were already "planned" (unlocking SpO2 sensor in AW6, merging watch faces) so the map stuff will either come in the next beta, or directly in a 14.0.2 patch, like they did last week. I hope so, anyway. I doubt they'll leave this hanging, it's affecting too many people and questions about this are already being raised in the comments on many sites reporting about the betas. I guess all we can do is wait. :(

Oct 1, 2020 12:33 AM in response to Robertybob36

This is quite appalling, and part of me is starting to despair. As many of you pointed out already, many of us already tried this procedure and didn't get to anything. Or at least, we tried a variation thereof: I backed up to my Mac and did a complete restore, whereas this suggests backing up to iCloud. Whether that's because iCloud is generally more accessible, or because it may back up fewer things and provide a "cleaner" restore (see my post here).

However, I wonder if following this procedure to the letter, especially AFTER upgrading to 14.0.1 and 7.1, may work. Has anyone tried it?

I hate wasting time doing pointless things, but I'm stuck working all day anyway so it will make little difference if my phone is available or not. Setting up Apple Pay and my banking apps again is the part I'm the least looking forward to, to be honest.

I'm just concerned that, should this not work, Apple's only solution will be "restore as a new phone and watch".

It wouldn't be too bad for the watch as it's just watchfaces to recreate and little more (in fact I'm tempted to give it a go first), but restoring the phone from scratch would be a nightmare.

Oct 1, 2020 9:34 PM in response to Kristin2477

Been testing to unpair and pairing the AW but still workout route not showing . last data for workout route in the health apps was Sept 18. all newer workout routes never being imported to health app.

then Apple release the KB https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211865 on Sept 30.

Did the recommendation to un-pair AW series 2 (WatchOS 6.2.8) , make sure backed-up. Backup iphone7 to icloud , erase all setting and reboot (ios 14). restore iphone (ios14). Once completed then pair the AW , restore to latest backup.

Run with AW workout apps, now the workout route is showing both in Health App and Fitness app. But all my old Workout routes prior ios14 upgrade (Sept 18) all GONE ........ only todays (Oct 2) showing.

Oct 2, 2020 2:17 AM in response to PabloMJ

Yes, me too... only the official advice ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211865 ) enabled NEW maps to be recorded in NEW workouts . All my old workouts gone. Apple, at least apologise. The "how to prevent future loss of data" rider, is an insult. Especially since this obviously was an issue in the beta.

Ps

I have two 11 series iPhones, Xs Max and ProMax , one back up , the other full time; plus a series 5 watch. Reset/restore process started 10:30. Finished, 19:00.

Oct 2, 2020 9:53 AM in response to RPPhilllips

Since I did the procedure yesterday highlighted in https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211865. My watch is giving me abnormal heart rates for my cycling and not for my brisk walk. Today AVG of 160 bpm and a MAX of 206 bpm compared to before the procedure for the same route of AVG 98 bpm and MAX of 108 bpm. Yesterday right after the procedure AVG 127 bpm and MAX 207 bpm.

Anyone else cycling seeing results like these?

Sep 18, 2020 3:18 AM in response to okoeth

• Hopefully it is just a software glitch and it will be fixed soon. Pretty sure Apple has backups of all our data. In the mean time I’m switching to Runkeeper to keep track of my workouts.
  • But, what if Apple was hacked and that’s the reason the maps are not visible, and hackers have now all our routes history? I haven’t seen any answer/comment from Apple and that worries me...

Sep 18, 2020 3:19 AM in response to matthewadams

• Hopefully it is just a software glitch and it will be fixed soon. Pretty sure Apple has backups of all our data. In the mean time I’m switching to Runkeeper to keep track of my workouts.
  • But, what if Apple was hacked and that’s the reason the maps are not visible, and hackers have now all our routes history? I haven’t seen any answer/comment from Apple and that worries me...

Sep 18, 2020 4:40 AM in response to Rick_Patel

• On Tuesday (before IOS-14) I could see all my workout maps (~2 years).
  • After IOS-14 all the maps disappeared, and nothing was shown for my yesterdays' outdoors walk
  • Last night I updated the Apple Watch to 7.0 and today's workout is shown as a green dot on the map (6 miles in the same point, and nothing for al my previous workouts)
  • Apple seems to put a lot of priority and marketing in Health and Fitness... but they should do less marketing and more testing before releasing these big flaws (and related to very important and personal data... I wonder if they were hacked and now those maps are in the dark internet)

Sep 22, 2020 4:32 AM in response to PabloMJ

I don't know if this will help with the missing GPS traces, but I'd be curious if anyone could test this.

1. In the Watch app on the phone, change the watch's name so it's easy to tell apart (e.g. mine was called "Ytse Watch", I changed it to "Ytse Watch 7"; anyone who gets the reference wins a virtual pat on the back).
  2. In the Health app on the phone, go to Browse, then go to Activity > Activity. Scroll down and tap Data Sources & Access. Tap Edit and drag your "current" watch is at the very top (this is why we changed the name). You may have multiple watches with the same name if you ever got your watch replaced or just restored from a backup.
  3. Go back to the "Activity" category and go into "Workouts". Scroll down and do the same with "Data Sources & Access".
  4. Go back to "Workouts", and do the same with "Workout Route Data Sources & Access". Note that in this case I do not have my "current" watch in the list, for some reason.

Just doing that made my iPhone 11 hot so it's probably doing something. I am unable to try an outdoor workout until a few hours from now, but I'm curious to see if others have their watch in the "Workout Route Data Sources & Access" list at all, and if it helps at all with the missing data.

Another oddity I noticed is that, if I go to "Show all workout routes", none of those have any route included. I also had the issue with iOS 13.7 not recording GPS at all (it started failing on Sept 1, just when 13.7 came out), but even older ones that used to have a track are not showing it. This would explain why Fitness isn't picking it up either. (Note that even though I'm a general nerd and have a history of being a developer, I haven't developed on iOS for many years now, and I do not have access to iOS or watchOS's internals. This is just pure speculation on my side.)

Sep 22, 2020 1:13 PM in response to Djamk1

Hi all

I restored my iPhone with the ipsw file and my historical maps are reappearing except any of the new activities post iOS 14 where I only get a green pin on the map.

I’ll run tomorrow and test to see if the route for maps is working.

What’s fixed:

• Health app battery has significantly reduced back to normal.
  • Phone is no longer heating up.
  • Battery seems better

Outstanding issues:

• Health data is still out of sync.

Sep 22, 2020 6:13 PM in response to PabloMJ

I'm using iPhone X and Apple Watch 5 and was having this same problem after upgrading to iOS14 watchOS7. Had the following symptoms:

• Previous workouts missing maps
  • New workouts not recording GPS route, only starting location
  • New workouts pushed to Strava without GPS information
  • Standing Hours graphs missing bars (and I assume other graphs)

I resolved it by backing up my phone to my mac then restoring by following this guide: https://wccftech.com/how-to/how-to-clean-install-ios-14-and-ipados-14-final-version/

In the last step I restored from my previous backup.

That fixed the problem and restored all previous workouts and maps. The only workouts not having maps were two that I did after the upgrade and before the restore. New workouts are now recording GPS information correctly and therefore getting sent correctly to Strava.

The backup and restore took less than an hour. It then took a few hours to download and re-install my apps and re-sync previous workouts dating back to April 2020. Not sure exactly how long as I left it do do its thing overnight and it was all good in the morning.

Hope that helps someone.

Workout maps gone in iOS 14?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.