Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur issues

Hey,

I've read that the overheating would go away after a few days but it is not and concerned about the potential damage to my MacBook Pro. Is MAC doing anything about this ? where can I find a solution? Thx. Simply unacceptable from Mac to have it got so wrong with Big Sur. :-((((

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 7:20 PM

12 replies

Dec 26, 2020 4:11 PM in response to PRP_53

Hi,

I have been trying since my post to follow all the guidance provided on troubleshooting issues after installing Big Sur but in vain. I ran a Etrecheck diagnostic to find out a bit more about potential root causes.

See attached. I'm not sure what to do next: :-( Thx for the community support.

EtreCheck version: 5.6.4 (5222)

Report generated: 2020-12-26 18:32:13

Download EtreCheck from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime: 1:51

Performance: Excellent

Sandbox: Enabled

Full drive access: Enabled

Problem: Other problem

Description: 

After upgrading from Mac OS Catalina to Big Sur, my Mac Book pro start

ed to experienced overheating and battery quick drainage. 

Major Issues:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention. 

Runaway process - A process is using a large percentage of your CPU.

Minor Issues:

These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems or opportunities for improvement. 

No Time Machine backup - Time Machine backup not found.

Apps with heavy CPU usage - There have been numerous cases of apps with heavy CPU usage.

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. Apple has said that unsigned software will not run by default in a future version of the operating system.

Hardware Information:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2019, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)

MacBook Pro Model: MacBookPro15,4

1.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 (i5-8257U) CPU: 4-core

8 GB RAM - Not upgradeable

BANK 0/ChannelA-DIMM0 - 4 GB LPDDR3 2133 

BANK 2/ChannelB-DIMM0 - 4 GB LPDDR3 2133 

Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 130

Dec 27, 2020 1:06 PM in response to PRP_53

Hi Philippe.

Has an External Drive been introduced and fused to act as a Fusion Drive setup?

Unquote

No...I just tried to follow Mac support guidance but failed to complete a reboot. It took me to re-install Big Sur and during the last attempt...something seems to have gone wrong as per attached pix. Look like I'm gonna have to go to a MAC clinic soon...

Dec 11, 2020 2:54 AM in response to KKTG2019

Often, when upgrading to a new macOS ( like Big Sur ) there are carryover issues that may have existed in previous version of macOS that can be made worst in the new macOS ( Big Sur ). Often, some apps may crash, cease to operate as expected because they require upgrading. Also and again carryover from previous macOS are installed extensions which are not compatible with Big Sur. Lastly, migrating apps and data from previous macOS can introduce these same issues. All this can contribute to the " overheating " issue you are experiencing.

Would suggest doing an inventory of what is installed looking for update Big Sur compatible Apps, drivers, Extensions, etc. Also, to get a real good look at the system performance to download Etrecheck and run in Full Disc Access. It is a very highly recommended app by many Apple users. Post the results in reply.

Dec 27, 2020 4:06 AM in response to KKTG2019

Thank you for the Full Disc Access for Etrecheck - great help.

Have to ask before going any further - Etrecheck is reporting the Internal Drive is 128 GB in size - it that correct? These is a notation of a Fusion Drive @ disk 05 in the report. Has an External Drive been introduced and fused to act as a Fusion Drive setup?

To have Upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur with such a small SSD is possible but with the macOS being as large as it is PLUS a Full MS Office Suite, Adobe Creative Cloud etc how was this achieved?

Dec 27, 2020 1:15 PM in response to PRP_53

that indicates how much of a Mac Expert I am...I restarted the PC with Command + R. Let's see how much I can recover and reset Big Sur but if Big Sur is the issue ...I'll need to figure out how to re-install Catalina at some point or have someone checked my Mac and detect and "kill" what creates the processor overloading...overheating is gonna damage it soon otherwise. right!

Dec 27, 2020 1:19 PM in response to KKTG2019

Barring a Hardware failure, we can walk you start to finish with either Erase and Install with either Big Sur or Catalina.

Right now, signing off to spend time with family but back tomorrow AM

Should another offers help do consider it especially if from some of the High Tier persons. They are really good and can do this blind folded

Big Sur issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.