Related Article: If you can't add a card to Apple Wallet to use with Apple Pay

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failing to add Apple Pay card to Wallet

Hi, I am encountering a strange problem: I can't add my Apple Pay enabled cards to my MacBook Pro (2018) anymore. It once worked, but somehow something with the security settings / T2 chip is messed up I guess.

In the Settings -> Wallet and Apple Pay menu, I can click "Add Card" but I immediately get the message "Apple Pay configuration has failed". Apple Pay has been disabled because security settings have changed. I can click for more information, but that doesn't help me out. It shows me how to reboot the machine and change the security settings to the highest level, but it was already at the highest level. I once used lower settings to boot a Linux distribution, but this is long ago.

The strange thing is, after a complete reset (first unlogging the device form my AppleID account, then downloading, formatting the whole drive and reinstalling macOS) which took me a few hours, the problem still exists.

is there anyone who has an idea about what's going wrong here?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 14, 2021 8:38 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Feb 17, 2021 9:43 AM in response to askbarnabas

Thanks, I did not see that second solution. Unfortunately, that doesn't work also. I kind of expected that, since I already:

• logged in and out of iCloud
  • reformatted the whole PC and reinstalled macOS

So my guess would be that somewhere in the iCloud settings, something is wrong that is copied back / assigned to this MacBook as soon as I reinstal the operating system.

Feb 14, 2021 2:17 PM in response to DeNachtwacht

on your iPhone when you go to settings>Wallet & Apple Pay>allow payments on Mac - is that on?

If you are getting a message that "Apple Pay has been disabled because the security settings of this Mac were modified" - go to Software Update/Advanced and uncheck the recheck "Install system data files and security updates." to see if that resolves the issue.

Failing to add Apple Pay card to Wallet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.