Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Could not set up Apple Pay - An error occurred while setting up Apple Pay

I posted this question previously on the Apple Pay forum, but did not get any response. Hopefully this post is going to the general support forum...

I am trying to set up Apple Pay on my new MacBook Pro. In Settings, I click on "Wallet & Apple Pay," but then when I click on "Add a Card," the above message is displayed. I have checked that Language and Region are correct, set it to another region, then set it back to the US, and tried signing in and out of my Apple ID. I also restarted .

There are no other suitable trouble shooting options given in the solutions to this problem on the relevant Apple support page.

Possibly related: under Touch ID in Settings, I am not able to select Apple Pay or iTunes for use with Touch ID.

Yesterday I updated to Big Sur, perhaps this could be the problem?

MacBook Pro (16 inch 2019)

OS11.1

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 2:14 PM

Touch ID is required and central to the process. Be certain you set Touch ID up correctly.

Use Touch ID on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies

Jan 6, 2021 6:53 AM in response to sberman

Touch ID is set up, but as I mentioned, I am not able to select the Touch ID options for "use with Apple Pay," or "iTunes." When I select "Apple Pay" in Touch ID settings, I'm prompted for my password which I enter and then a checkmark shows in the box. However, if I navigate back to Settings and then back to "Touch ID," the box is unchecked. The box for "iTunes" will not show a check at all when I click on it.

I've also tried signing my computer out of iCloud, restarted, then signed back in and restarted, just in case.

I'm guessing that if "Apple Pay" is not selected under Touch ID, the "Add a Card" process under "Wallet" is not going to work.

Jan 7, 2021 7:59 AM in response to imaginary_forest

Update: Apple customer service had me reset the System Management Controller (SMC) by shutting down, then powering on while holding down the power button for 10 seconds, then pressing the power button once.

I then logged on as I do normally, added a checkmark next to "use with Apple ID" in Touch ID preferences. Verifying that the change was accepted, I returned back to System Preferences then went back to the Touch ID preferences panel, and the checkmark by "use with Apple ID" remained checked. Then I went to Wallet system preferences and was able to successfully Add a Card.

"Could not set up Apple Pay - An error occurred while setting up Apple Pay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.