Related Article: If you can't add a card to Apple Wallet to use with Apple Pay

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

could not set up Apple Pay - an error occurred while setting up apple pay

I am trying to set up Apple Pay on my new MacBook Pro. In Settings, I click on Wallet & Apple Pay, then Add a Card, and then the above message is displayed. I have checked that Language and Region are correct, set it to another region, then set it back to the US, and tried signing in and out of my Apple ID.

There are no other suitable options given in the solutions to this problem on the relevant Apple support page.

Also, possibly related, under Touch ID in Settings, I am not able to select Apple Pay or iTunes for use with Touch ID.

Yesterday I updated to Big Sur, perhaps this could be the problem?

MacBook Pro (16 inch 2019)

OS11.1

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 3, 2021 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2021 5:30 PM

Hello imaginary_forest,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with setting up Apple Pay.

Please verify you are setting everything up as shown here: Set up Apple Pay - Apple Support

If you still have trouble, please check the troubleshooting here: If you can't add cards to Wallet to use with Apple Pay - Apple Support

If you still have issues, it's possible the issue is cause by wireless the network you are connected to. Test while connected to another wireless network, or by turning Wi-Fi off, and using the cellular data only, that is if you have another device available to try setting this up on.

• To turn Wi-Fi off and use your cellular connection, go to Settings > Wi-Fi, and turn the slider off. Be aware that this will use your cellular data until you turn Wi-Fi back on.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2021 5:30 PM in response to imaginary_forest

Hello imaginary_forest,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with setting up Apple Pay.

Please verify you are setting everything up as shown here: Set up Apple Pay - Apple Support

If you still have trouble, please check the troubleshooting here: If you can't add cards to Wallet to use with Apple Pay - Apple Support

If you still have issues, it's possible the issue is cause by wireless the network you are connected to. Test while connected to another wireless network, or by turning Wi-Fi off, and using the cellular data only, that is if you have another device available to try setting this up on.

• To turn Wi-Fi off and use your cellular connection, go to Settings > Wi-Fi, and turn the slider off. Be aware that this will use your cellular data until you turn Wi-Fi back on.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Jan 6, 2021 7:27 AM in response to Eric--F

Thanks for your response.

I am not able to follow the instructions on the "Set up Apple Pay - Apple Support" page because when I click on "Add a Card" in the System Preferences "Wallet & Apple Pay" pane I received the dialogue referenced in the subject of this post.

Regarding the troubleshooting options on the "Apple Pay - Apple Support" page:

• there is no issue on the Apple Pay System Status page
  • I've verified the other steps and/or taken those actions

I do not have another wireless network to connect to, but I did try disconnecting from my network and connecting to my phone's personal hotspot and used my phones cellular connection.

As I mentioned, there is another issue, potentially symptomatic of the underlying problem: I am not able to select the Touch ID options in System Preferences for "use with Apple Pay," or "iTunes." When I select "Apple Pay" I'm prompted for my password which I enter, a checkmark then shows in the box however, if I navigate back to Preferences and then back to "Touch ID," the box is unchecked. The box for "iTunes" will not show a check at all when I click on it.

I'm guessing that if "Apple Pay" is not selected under Touch ID, the "Add a Card" process under "Wallet" is not going to work.

Other thoughts?

could not set up Apple Pay - an error occurred while setting up apple pay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.