Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Silencing spam group messages

I’ve been receiving spam group messages of a sexual nature from both phone numbers and email addresses. After the original spam message, then I receive dozens of replies from the other numbers profanely telling the spammer to 🤬. I have turned on the “filter unknown messages”, and it puts them in another folder, but I still get the ding and the notifications on my main screen, complete with obscene language my boss, coworkers, or children could see. I understand that Apple is not able to stop these because they are SMS, but why can’t you turn off the dings and the notifications for them? I could at least live with that. I only want to be notified of texts from my contacts.

And yes, I mute the messages and block the callers, but it does nothing to alleviate this aggravation. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding.

iPhone 6s

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 3:59 PM

ScubaSoprano wrote:

Well, I need to be notified when I receive my actual messages!

No you mute that particular thread not your entire message.

open the message - at the very top click - info - hide alerts - on

Similar questions

3 replies

Jun 28, 2021 3:02 PM in response to ScubaSoprano

ScubaSoprano wrote:

I’ve been receiving spam group messages of a sexual nature from both phone numbers and email addresses. After the original spam message, then I receive dozens of replies from the other numbers profanely telling the spammer to 🤬. I have turned on the “filter unknown messages”, and it puts them in another folder, but I still get the ding and the notifications on my main screen, complete with obscene language my boss, coworkers, or children could see. I understand that Apple is not able to stop these because they are SMS, but why can’t you turn off the dings and the notifications for them? I could at least live with that. I only want to be notified of texts from my contacts.

And yes, I mute the messages and block the callers, but it does nothing to alleviate this aggravation. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding. Ding.

Mute message as in hide alerts, so you're not notified when message comes in?

Silencing spam group messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.