Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues connecting IPad Pro (Gen 5) to external screen

Hello,

I am having trouble connecting my Ipad Pro to an external monitor.

I have connected the IPad to a USB C to HDMI adaptor that is connected to an HDMI cable to my external monitors.

• I have tried to connect it with multiple monitors and none of them can detect the IPad.
  • I have tried to unplug the power of the monitors and replug them (as the trouble shooting guide on Apples page says) but that doesn't work.
  • I have tried to use the HDMI wires along with the USB C adaptor with other devices and the monitors are able to pick up those devices, so not an issue with the cables, adaptors or monitors
  • I have tried restarting the ipad and that doesnt work either
  • I have tried plugging the HDMI into different ports on the monitors and that doesnt work either

I noticed on various videos online, under Settings -> display/brightness there should be an option at the bottom for 'other connected devices'. this option does not appear in my IPad setting when I connect it to the monitors.

I do notice that the Ipad detects it is connected to something as the sound rocker changes to an external display.

Help would be appreciated, one of the main reasons I bought the Ipad was so that i could plug it into my external monitors and TVs.

(I have read through these pages 1 and 2 and 3 and none of the solutions from here work)

thank you,

Posted on Nov 27, 2021 7:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2021 11:52 AM

My experience with iOS devices is that they do require charging in order for those adapters to work. The Mac computers are usually OK to run off battery power with a monitor, but not the iOS devices.

Additionally, the adapter you purchased does not specifically state that it works with an iPad. At the very least, consider returning this one and get an adapter that DOES state it's compatible with iPad.

Also consider getting the Apple adapter, or, at least, one that gives the option to charge the iPad and see if that helps. The apple adapter can be found here: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MUF82AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?afid=p238%7Cs4IBGDpDG-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_496840630947_pgrid_117014976843_pntwk_g_pchan_online_pexid__&cid=aos-us-kwgo-pla-btb--slid---product-MUF82AM/A

~Lyssa

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2021 11:52 AM in response to kpst92

My experience with iOS devices is that they do require charging in order for those adapters to work. The Mac computers are usually OK to run off battery power with a monitor, but not the iOS devices.

Additionally, the adapter you purchased does not specifically state that it works with an iPad. At the very least, consider returning this one and get an adapter that DOES state it's compatible with iPad.

Also consider getting the Apple adapter, or, at least, one that gives the option to charge the iPad and see if that helps. The apple adapter can be found here: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MUF82AM/A/usb-c-digital-av-multiport-adapter?afid=p238%7Cs4IBGDpDG-dc_mtid_1870765e38482_pcrid_496840630947_pgrid_117014976843_pntwk_g_pchan_online_pexid__&cid=aos-us-kwgo-pla-btb--slid---product-MUF82AM/A

~Lyssa

Issues connecting IPad Pro (Gen 5) to external screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.