Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Encrypt USB drive in Monterey

I need to save and encrypt spreadsheets to a USB stick. Web searches for this solution have proved harder to find than I would have thought. The Sandisk stick came with encryption software called Private Access. Tests have proved it to be Private No Access all too frequently. Can anyone recommend free or purchased software that will encrypt to a USB stick. I do not know if Filevault can be used on a stick but not the Mac that is accessing it ? It would be useful to know what would be the best file format for the stick given that the data will only ever be accessed on an iMac. Thanks for any help with this.

P.S. I am running the latest release of Monterey

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 1:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 9:46 AM

Do you need to use this on other (non-Mac) computers?

If only on Mac's, you can encrypt the drive using Disk utility. You must erase the drive and use GUID Partition Map and APFS (encrypted) format.

FileVault and Encryption are intertwined, but not the same thing. FileVault is the magic that allows you to decrypt the drive and login using the same credentials from one login screen. When you enable FileVault on your startup drive, it encrypts and creates the single sign-in experience.

If you Encrypt a drive using Finder or Disk Utility, it is the same encryption that happens when you enable FileVault, but there is no accounts you need to log into on the drive. It just has a password to allow read/write.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2022 9:46 AM in response to Stylax

Do you need to use this on other (non-Mac) computers?

If only on Mac's, you can encrypt the drive using Disk utility. You must erase the drive and use GUID Partition Map and APFS (encrypted) format.

FileVault and Encryption are intertwined, but not the same thing. FileVault is the magic that allows you to decrypt the drive and login using the same credentials from one login screen. When you enable FileVault on your startup drive, it encrypts and creates the single sign-in experience.

If you Encrypt a drive using Finder or Disk Utility, it is the same encryption that happens when you enable FileVault, but there is no accounts you need to log into on the drive. It just has a password to allow read/write.

Jan 20, 2022 8:52 AM in response to lllaass

Hi,

This is a bit cryptic for me, sorry. You appear to have provided two conflicting options. 'Protect your Mac etc" refers to Filevault and it is my understanding that Filevault cannot be used any longer to encrypt data on anything other than a Mac running Monterey ? I cannot make any sense of the discussion thread on the second link as far as encrypting a USB stick is concerned where it is being done on a Mac running Monterey. Can you clear this up please.

Jan 21, 2022 3:41 AM in response to Stylax

Thanks for the reply. Would you advise this approach over APFS ?

You can’t encrypt any other format in Big Sur or later. If you encrypt, it will be APFS. CoreStorage, which was used to encrypt HFS+, does not exist in Big Sur or Monterey. If you need it to work with a Mac on older versions, you would need to encrypt it on that older Mac. Big Sur and Monterey could still use it, just not create it.

Jan 21, 2022 5:52 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you for this reply as it seems to me that of all the answers I have received, only your one deals with the circumstances that I set out in my enquiry i.e. Using Monterey on a Mac to encrypt a USB stick as the best option to achieve this. For reasons I cannot explain, I tried to format the stick for APFS two days ago but none of the APFS options came up through Disk Utility leading me to suspect that it was not an option for a USB stick. However, by sheer chance I noticed there was a Monterey update available which I ran yesterday and I thought I would have one more try to format the stick with APFS. Now something like four varieties of APFS have come up so I can now proceed. Thanks for the help.

Jan 21, 2022 7:30 AM in response to Stylax

A USB stick usually comes with a master boot record partition scheme and FAT32 format. By default, Disk Utility hides that info and only presents the mountable volumes. If you try to erase a volume, it will only allow the choices compatible with the partition scheme.

You can “Show all Devices” which then allows you to select the drive device and change the partition map to GUID which is required to encrypt.

Apple tries to hide the gory details, but that limits what you can do unless you know how to show the details.

Encrypt USB drive in Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.