Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Private Relay

I just bought ICloud+ and started using Private Relay (and blocked IP address from trackers and websites). But when I went to check what my public IP is on a website it was still my current ip. Is this supposed to happen?

iPhone 13, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 7:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2022 8:31 PM

Owchs Said:

"Private Relay: I just bought ICloud+ and started using Private Relay (and blocked IP address from trackers and websites). But when I went to check what my public IP is on a website it was still my current ip. Is this supposed to happen?"

-------

Yes. All is working as intended.

Private Reply is meant to prevent profiles of you from being created. A VPN does what you speak of.

1. Go here: About iCloud Private Relay - Apple Support
  2. As it Reads: "This information could be used to determine your identity and build a profile of your location and browsing history over time."
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 22, 2022 8:31 PM in response to Owchs

Owchs Said:

"Private Relay: I just bought ICloud+ and started using Private Relay (and blocked IP address from trackers and websites). But when I went to check what my public IP is on a website it was still my current ip. Is this supposed to happen?"

-------

Yes. All is working as intended.

Private Reply is meant to prevent profiles of you from being created. A VPN does what you speak of.

1. Go here: About iCloud Private Relay - Apple Support
  2. As it Reads: "This information could be used to determine your identity and build a profile of your location and browsing history over time."

Private Relay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.