Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use Private Relay with my personal domain, which is hosted by iCloud?

Private Relay says it can't work with my configuration. I use a VPN. Is a VPN better than Private Relay because it can pretend to be in other locations? My understanding is Private Relay simply hides the IP address, whereas a VPN can use IP addresses in, for example, other countries.

Posted on Mar 9, 2023 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2023 11:53 AM

Hi jiji44,

Private Relay is a feature of the iCloud account that is hosting your email address. Here's some information from the About iCloud Private Relay resource that should provide some insight:

"If your system settings prevent Private Relay from working

In System Settings on your Mac, you might see an alert that says "Some of your system settings prevent Private Relay from working." If you do, a third-party app — such as a VPN or internet filtering software — might have installed settings or extensions that are incompatible with Private Relay. For example, the third-party app might have installed a kernel extension or applied custom packet filter rules.

If you want to use Private Relay on your Mac, turn off or uninstall the third-party app."

Take care.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2023 11:53 AM in response to jiji44

Hi jiji44,

Private Relay is a feature of the iCloud account that is hosting your email address. Here's some information from the About iCloud Private Relay resource that should provide some insight:

"If your system settings prevent Private Relay from working

In System Settings on your Mac, you might see an alert that says "Some of your system settings prevent Private Relay from working." If you do, a third-party app — such as a VPN or internet filtering software — might have installed settings or extensions that are incompatible with Private Relay. For example, the third-party app might have installed a kernel extension or applied custom packet filter rules.

If you want to use Private Relay on your Mac, turn off or uninstall the third-party app."

Take care.

Can I use Private Relay with my personal domain, which is hosted by iCloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.