Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dimples / Dents / Holes on MacBook Pro 14" and 16" screens / displays

Hi there!

I noticed several very small dimples / dents on my screen that you can feel and after using Macs for over 15 years and being very careful with same I could not wrap my head around the reason this could be.

As it turns out: Many people report the same problem while also being very careful with their hardware:

https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookpro/comments/q2q6z0/little_dimplesdents_in_the_macbook_pro_16_screen/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-16-just-noticed-these-on-the-screen-3months-in.2259884/

As this is a physical damage (as mentioned earlier: you can feel the "holes") I got told in the Apple Store that this would not be covered under warranty BUT they would swap it anyway free of charge. While this sounds like the solution people in the linked threads reported that they had the problem again after only a couple of months.

Now as these dimples are mostly very small I would love to hear if other people have the same problem and report same here / to Apple / to the linked threads so that we get an idea if this is in fact a design fault caused by too little distance between the keyboard and the display which was not a problem with older models. I like to mention again that you can confirm that these "faulty pixels" are in fact physical damage and not dead pixels by feeling the holes in the screen.

Attached some photos of my damages - obviously photographed very close to the screen as they are rather small.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Jul 23, 2022 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2022 8:26 AM

I have the same issue.

8 months old 14" M1 MacBook Pro.

Very clean.

Suddenly one very small (size of a needle) hole in the screen.

Similar questions

10 replies

Oct 3, 2022 5:14 AM in response to iPhils

I had exactly the same. Two dimples lining up with the line space between the trackpad and the keyboard. I take good care of my laptop – had a MacBook Pro previously for 5 years and never had the same. Took it to the Apple Store and he said 'we don't give it to you in that condition so it's not our fault, it's yours.'

Not great service and not a great look especially considering the amount of people here and on Reddit that are having this issue...

https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookpro/comments/q2q6z0/little_dimplesdents_in_the_macbook_pro_16_screen/

Sep 16, 2022 9:22 PM in response to iPhils

iPhils wrote:

If you cannot clearly see the dimples/holes I recommend using a tool like this which turns the display completely white so you can check the display inch by inch

FYI, you can just change the wallpaper in the macOS System Preferences to an all white background. It will allow you to see most of the screen except the menubar. You can temporarily move the Dock to another location to check the area where the Dock normally resides. No need to install any third party software.

Customize the desktop picture on your Mac - Apple Support

Aug 10, 2022 1:41 AM in response to leroydouglas

Same thing here, bought the M1 MacbookPro in may this year and I've just noticed a small dent same as described by others in the reddit thread. I've owned two macbooks before and had them for 8+ years and they still don't have a single scratch on the screens. I'm also extra careful with it, its never opened if not in use, i clean it once a week... yet somehow this has happened. Must be some extremely fragile 'protection' layer that very obviously isn't doing its job. I'm also adamant to taking it in for repair/replace if (as others have also mentioned) the same thing happened after e few months of use.

Oct 26, 2022 4:58 AM in response to iPhils

I have the same issue. I already got the screen replaced once because of dimples being sure it was my fault somehow. However now after having it replaced since two weeks I got new dents on the new screen , even tough I'm absolutely sure to have treated my new mac with the upmost care(carying in a case and cleaning keyboard with cloth). I'm kind of at a loss and regret very much having bought this laptop for so much money.

Jul 24, 2022 12:52 PM in response to iPhils

iPhils wrote:

Hi there!

I noticed several very small dimples / dents on my screen ...

Hardware issues can not be resolved on line...

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Find Locations - Apple

You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it.

Only items that have been purchased directly from Apple, either online or at an Apple Retail Store

you have a limited 14 days for an exchange or full refund if it does not suit you.

Returns & Refunds Order status

Returns & Refunds - Shopping Help - Apple

Sep 15, 2022 2:29 PM in response to Dgfc29

I would really recommend referring to this thread and the other links in the start post of this thread and mentioning that there seems to be a problem with the new displays so they replace it within the first year (limited warranty period).

If you cannot clearly see the dimples/holes I recommend using a tool like this which turns the display completely white so you can check the display inch by inch: https://www.whitescreen.online/

Dimples / Dents / Holes on MacBook Pro 14" and 16" screens / displays

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.