Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch no longer unlocks Mac

Got my brand spanking new Apple Watch Series 8 on Friday the 16th. I of course promptly set it up and everything is going as it's supposed to go, except for one thing: It no longer unlocks my Mac (Monterey 12.6). Nothings changed on my Mac - it unlocked with my Apple Watch Series 6 just fine all the way up until I switched to the 8. Now, it doesn't even try, as if the feature no longer exists. It's still enabled in settings on the Mac, again - I didn't change anything.

This happening to anyone else? I was thinking it must be the watch OS, but my series 6 was updated to watch OS 9, the most current, and it worked just fine. The Google Machine is not revealing anything on a search...(unless this is happening to just me!!)

Help!!

Thanks all!

Apple Watch Series 8

Posted on Sep 18, 2022 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 5:34 PM

Hello Timmy S.,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities about unlocking your Mac with your new Apple Watch.

1 . Since this is a new Apple Watch, please turn the setting off: Unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

2 . Once the setting has been disabled, restart your Mac using: Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

3 . Then, go ahead and set it up again with the new Apple Watch and test.

In most cases, completing the steps above will resolve the behavior for you and get you back to unlocking your Mac with ease.

If after completing those steps, you still experience the same behavior, then we'd recommend reaching out to Apple directly for additional troubleshooting help: Apple Support

Thanks.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2022 5:34 PM in response to Timmy S.

Hello Timmy S.,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities about unlocking your Mac with your new Apple Watch.

1 . Since this is a new Apple Watch, please turn the setting off: Unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

2 . Once the setting has been disabled, restart your Mac using: Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

3 . Then, go ahead and set it up again with the new Apple Watch and test.

In most cases, completing the steps above will resolve the behavior for you and get you back to unlocking your Mac with ease.

If after completing those steps, you still experience the same behavior, then we'd recommend reaching out to Apple directly for additional troubleshooting help: Apple Support

Thanks.

Apple Watch no longer unlocks Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.