Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Apple Watch Ultra locking while on wrist

I have an Apple Watch Ultra running the latest release (9.1 build 20S75) and have had continuous issues with the watch locking itself. It has occurred while wearing multiple types of straps including the Ocean Band, Sport Loop, and the Alpine Loop. I wear my bands pretty tight (tight enough that they leave indentations on my wrist 360 degrees).

I've worn Apple Watches since 2016, and this only started happening with Watch OS 9 / Apple Watch Ultra.

Before the inevitable question, yes, I searched for similar posts and no, I didn't find any that had relevant answers.

Has anyone else been experiencing this issue with Watch OS 9 and/or Apple Watch Ultra? Any ideas on a fix? I'd prefer to avoid the un-pair / re-pair route, but will try it if it's a viable solution.

Thanks in advance.

Apple Watch Ultra, watchOS 9

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 2:30 AM

I have this issue after I updated to watchOS 9.6. There were no physical damage to the watch though.it popped up all of a sudden one day after the recent O.S. Update. Initially, the watch remained locked when I entered the passcode prompt while wrist but the frequency of prompts increased gradually and now the watch is unusable with passcode on. I've tried all the possible fixes mentioned online and in apple forum.

Now my watch doesn't track heart rate, stops tracking while doing a workout, no sleep data, literally nothing is tracked these days. I have already turned off passcode as a work around for this problem and I've already compromised with my security. On top of all this, I've lost most of the features of the apple watch already. 

Similar questions

104 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2023 2:30 AM in response to flavoredair

I have this issue after I updated to watchOS 9.6. There were no physical damage to the watch though.it popped up all of a sudden one day after the recent O.S. Update. Initially, the watch remained locked when I entered the passcode prompt while wrist but the frequency of prompts increased gradually and now the watch is unusable with passcode on. I've tried all the possible fixes mentioned online and in apple forum.

Now my watch doesn't track heart rate, stops tracking while doing a workout, no sleep data, literally nothing is tracked these days. I have already turned off passcode as a work around for this problem and I've already compromised with my security. On top of all this, I've lost most of the features of the apple watch already. 

Nov 3, 2022 12:53 PM in response to lobsterghost1

This is becoming a bit of a circular conversation. I've verified that wrist detection is enabled, but the watch randomly locks itself (as if it's not detecting my wrist).

The question was if others are having the same issue and if so what (if anything) has been done. I oversee iOS and Android developers, so I'm comfortable with the process of submitting bugs directly to Apple, but before I do that I wanted to see if others were 1) experiencing this as well, 2) if they have a fix. If 1 no, (which thus far seems like it) then I'll submit a bug ticket and move on.

Thanks.

Jan 7, 2023 6:03 PM in response to Bougie_Bohemian

Bougie_Bohemian wrote:

My I watch ultra locks when no one is touching it and it’s docked on it’s charging station? This time it locked itself so much it telling me to reset on my iPhone, but 99% of the time it just locks itself, and then adds more minutes.

Yes, when your watch is on it's charger, it is designed to lock the screen. This is normal behavior.

Aug 9, 2023 4:01 PM in response to flavoredair

I just bought one a week ago and it always does this to me. I had no idea that tattoos could affect the operation of the wrist detection - had I known that, I wouldn't have purchased the watch. BUT, it is VERY irritating as I want to use the watch with my apple pay and having to turn off the passcode feature kind of defeats a lot of the purpose of the watch itself.

Nov 19, 2023 6:13 AM in response to flavoredair

It shouldn’t be tattoos bc I’ve had many Apple Watches and the same tats for years and I just opened and set up my new ultra. Went from one to the other. Series 7 or something. In literally had both on my wrist and only the ultra locked. It’s incessant. Actually unusable. I’m livid. You can’t workout keep data ect. I’ve had some watches disconnect during heavy workouts sweat ect. But I’ve sat still and this thing just locks. I also noticed my display is set to always on but it doesn’t stay on. I reset turned functions on and of and nothing. This is definitely software as I can’t imagine all these brand new devices are defective hardware. HELLO APPLE SUPPORT DONT YOU SEE THIS IS LEGITIMATE ISSUE.

May 2, 2023 8:12 AM in response to Trinitystehno

Trinitystehno wrote:

What does having tattoos have to do w it? Because my watch started doing the same thing right after getting my forearm and wrist tattooed. I took it off for two weeks while my tattoo healed and when I put it back on, it’s been locking itself, pausing my workouts, and not receiving notifications

The ink in the tattoo blocks the sensors. This is an issue that has been known since Apple Watches (and similar devices such as FitBits) have been in existence. See this article for some additional information:

https://www.theverge.com/23567992/wearable-tech-tattoos-fitness-tracking-how-to

Aug 17, 2023 1:32 PM in response to thompson67

It’s not your tattoos. There is some sort of issue here as I bought a series 8 today. I took off my series 6 (which has been running perfectly). Put on the 8 and it’s been doing it to me since.

absolutley infuriating and with the amount of comments on here they can’t all be defective units. It’s either a design flaw of a software issue I think.

what’s even more shocking is it seems apple must be aware but don’t offer any fix.

out of interest do you have the display set to always on? That seems to have *possibly fixed it*. I switched the setting 10 mins ago and so far it hasn’t locked at all… given the fact is was locking every 20 seconds or so before I think that may be a solution. Just means you’ll have to put up with shorter battery life!!

Aug 17, 2023 7:32 PM in response to A. Rose

A. Rose wrote:

Posting again to make sure you see this. I have a new Ultra, no tats, and had the exact same situation that most of you have described.

I don't have this problem. I'm very happy you found a solution to your problem. However, it won't fix the issue for people with heavy tattooing. You've just made my point that there is more than one root cause for this problem.

Apple Watch Ultra locking while on wrist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.