Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is unlocking my Mac with my Apple Watch unreliable?

I have my Apple Watch and my Mac set up so that the watch is supposed to unlock the Mac. This usually works, but quite often, after the Mac has been sleeping, the screen says "unlocking with Apple Watch" but it doesn't actually do that, and after a bit I have to put my admin password in. I see this as a bug - if the watch isn't going to unlock the Mac, then it shouldn't ever display the "unlocking" note. Is there a way to stop this happening? I'm using an Intel iMac running MacOS Ventura 13.2 with an Apple Watch running WatchOS 9.3, but the issue existed in earlier versions.

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 2:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2023 10:43 AM

While mine sometimes says that the signal is too weak to open, it never says it's unlocking when it isn't. I wonder if maybe there are some odd things going on with your Mac. Try restarting your Mac in Safe Mode, and see if the problem persists. This bypasses certain potentially disruptive processes, possibly with caches and login items.

How to start in Safe Mode depends on which Mac you have, so see this:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support 

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 6, 2023 10:43 AM in response to Living Fossil

While mine sometimes says that the signal is too weak to open, it never says it's unlocking when it isn't. I wonder if maybe there are some odd things going on with your Mac. Try restarting your Mac in Safe Mode, and see if the problem persists. This bypasses certain potentially disruptive processes, possibly with caches and login items.

How to start in Safe Mode depends on which Mac you have, so see this:

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support 

Why is unlocking my Mac with my Apple Watch unreliable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.