Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How to remove Stubborn icons after uninstalling epic Games Launcher on Mac

Hello guys, I recently installed epic games on my Mac to try something but I wanted to delete the applications since. It sure is deleted but I still have an Icon that says "epic games launcher" and a banned icon (which I will show you with screenshot). This icon can't be deleted like I tried dragging it into the trash - didn't work, I tried with command + delete button - still doesn't work and it I can't press right mouse button on it. Can someone help me? :)

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2023 3:52 PM

You can check to see if you've removed all of the supporting files by downloading and running the shareware app Find Any File to search for any files with the application's or the developer's name in the file name.  For Epic Games software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains epic

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

If you get warnings that the file can't be deleted because it is in use or used by another app boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and delete from there.

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2023 3:52 PM in response to Jerryto0

You can check to see if you've removed all of the supporting files by downloading and running the shareware app Find Any File to search for any files with the application's or the developer's name in the file name.  For Epic Games software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains epic

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

If you get warnings that the file can't be deleted because it is in use or used by another app boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and delete from there.

Note:  if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode.  This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will assure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Apr 20, 2023 1:56 PM in response to Old Toad

The app isn't in the Finder, only in the Launchpad. I don't know how to check the size report and I think it wanted my account password to download the App.

I mean the App was working completely fine but it was no use of using it because there are no games available for Mac in this store so I deleted the App. And yet the icon's still there even there is no such files within it.

Im trying using Terminal but still no luck. :)

Apr 20, 2023 2:34 PM in response to Jerryto0

Is this icon on the Dock? If it is, try right clicking on it or control click it. Then click Options, Remove from Dock.

If it is on the desktop, Right click the icon and choose, Get Info. Then at the bottom under 'Sharing & Permissions', change the permissions to you (shown as me) to read & write. Then delete it. If that doesn't work, also change the everyone user to Read & Write as well.

How to remove Stubborn icons after uninstalling epic Games Launcher on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.