Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

How to update maps on a Garmin device if update mode doesn't launch on my Mac?

I am trying to upgrade maps on a Garmin device. It will not launch update mode when connected to my Mac (even when using a USB-A (2.0) hub. I have to humiliate myself by begging a Windows user to perform the update for me.

any advice for a die-hard Mac user?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro (M2 Max, 2023)

Posted on Jun 22, 2023 4:01 PM

4 replies

Jun 22, 2023 5:21 PM in response to dialabrain

Of course I did. On line resources, chat session, one on one tech support. Had multiple pathways to explore. All failed. Update launched immediately when connected to my Windows computer at work but Garmin site blocked on that machine. Implication from Garmin is that signal from the Mac data port is inadequate to flip the Garmin device from navigator mode to update mode.

Jun 22, 2023 5:29 PM in response to owenfromlincolnville

owenfromlincolnville wrote:

Implication from Garmin is that signal from the Mac data port is inadequate to flip the Garmin device from navigator mode to update mode.

Have you tried plugging the device directly into a port? If the "Implication' is correct there's nothing you can do to "Increase the signal". It might be useful if you mention which Garvin device you have. Perhaps another Mac user has the same device and a possible solution.

May 6, 2024 6:46 AM in response to owenfromlincolnville

Total frickin pain in the arse! I bought and brought my brand new Garmin from the USA to Mallorca for a dream biking vacation only to find that I only have N. American maps. I brought my MacBook Pro, but cannot update maps with it. Now have to find/beg someone to let me use their PC, login to Garmin Express, deactivate the American map and active European maps. Have wasted so much of my vacation on trying to update my Garmin device...better off just navigating with my phone!!!! Garmin customer service has no other solutions.

How to update maps on a Garmin device if update mode doesn't launch on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.