Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

iTunes on windows 11 not playing videos

I have seen others complain about this, I have even tried switching to the Apple TV app, but none of your videos will play. Only if I download first, which I don’t want to

videos seem to play fine with competitors

i just got this computer and I know it’s not underspec

lenovo T16

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jul 2, 2023 10:27 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Jul 4, 2023 7:19 AM in response to midnight_doom

Hello midnight_doom,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

Do you have this same issue on other Wi-Fi networks as well or does it only seem to happen on one specific network?

Testing that can help narrow down what may be causing this.

Also, the steps in here may help if your video isn't playing as expected: Play movies and other video in iTunes on PC - Apple Support

Cheers!

Jul 6, 2023 7:33 AM in response to midnight_doom

Hello midnight_doom,

You're correct that signing in to another Apple ID in iTunes, may result in not being able to switch accounts for the 90 days, as described in this message.

To back track a bit, we wanted to be clear that the Apple TV+ subscription service for Apple TV content, is not available on iTunes the app for Windows. In order to access this Apple TV+ subscription on a PC, you'd want to use the following options: How to watch Apple TV+, MLS Season Pass, and more

Meaning, you'd need to access this subscription using a browser.

Learn more about Apple TV+ subscription here: Get Apple TV+

For downloading past movies and TV shows purchased from iTunes, you'd need to use the iTunes app for Windows. Which may be why you've been able to download past purchases, but not access the Apple TV+ service through the iTunes app. See the following to learn more about downloading your past purchases through iTunes: Download previous iTunes purchases on PC

If you still need support, please contact Apple Support directly: Get Support

We hope this helps out!

Take care.

Jul 3, 2023 4:49 PM in response to midnight_doom

To add, I have since tried uninstalling my antivirus, didn’t work

so I reinstalled windows 11 from fresh (it’s only a few months old so not cluttered so wasn’t big deal yet)

but even with a fresh install, I can only get iTunes to play purchased videos if I download them first

so, it’s not that it’s a hardware issue preventing the video playing, but for some reason when streaming and it connects to server the black box freezes

Jul 5, 2023 5:41 PM in response to Bryan_K1

Hi,

I was able to get some testing done

I gave it a try on 2.4ghz, 5Ghz, Ethernet and connected to my phones LTE

With some movies I can get to the main menu, but after pressing play it just freezes up iTunes with a black screen

But will play if I wait to download it

Not sure how the codec differs, but I tried with a few other services like Netflix app and they stream fine

Jul 5, 2023 6:15 PM in response to jmarse1

Hi,

Ok, so putting it back to windows 10 didn’t prove any different, so I ended up putting windows 11 back on (because 11 is required for the course I’ll be taking in September)

the version of iTunes I currently have installed is the newest from the Microsoft Store 12.12.9.4

should I put a different version from the Apple website?

Also all my Windows Software updates were done, as well as any updates from the Lenovo app, and all preinstalled apps (Microsoft had some codec ones like AV1, HEVC

So as far as I can see the laptop is all up to date

Jul 5, 2023 6:33 PM in response to midnight_doom

Hi midnight_doom, We appreciate you keeping us posted.

If you have a different user account on your computer, we recommend that you check if you can replicate the issue on a different user. Trying this step can help isolate the issue further.

If the issue persists, please reach out to us here so we can take a closer look into the issue: Get Support

Take care!

Jul 6, 2023 7:44 AM in response to destiny241

Hi,

ok for now I don’t know if I should put my partners account on then since I’ll get locked out for 90 days, I will save that experiment for last thing to try

thanks for the extra info, I actually didn’t notice yet that Apple TV+ subscription can’t be accessed in iTunes (or Apple TV app when I briefly tried to see if it worked any better)

I am still new to switching back to Windows 11 from my MacBook, so still learning the differences of what Apple offers on Windows vs Mac

So to re sum up, I don’t currently have a subscription to Apple TV+, the media I have been trying to play are ones that I have purchased, both movies and TV shows

thanks

iTunes on windows 11 not playing videos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.