Why is the volume on my AirPods so low?

I bought my third gen airpods a year and a half ago and I’ve noticed that the sound is quite low even if I turn the volume all the way to the max. I tried cleaning the speaker part and nothing works. Some times, the left airpod is also louder than the right one.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 6:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2024 1:16 PM

This issue has been faced by many individuals but this is not something that can't be fixed, with right solutions applied it can be easily fixed, There could be several possible reasons why your AirPods are so quiet, and some here are some ways to fix them.

1. Turn off Low Power mode on your iPhone.
  2. Turn off “Reduce Loud Sounds” on your iPhone. This feature sets a maximum volume limit, which can make the AirPods sound too low.
  3. Check the microphone and speaker mesh on each AirPod. If you see any debris, clean your AirPods
  4. Reset Your AirPods.

But if none these solutions worked then visit this detailed guide that covers 9 ways to fix AirPods volume problems that are too quiet. I hope this helps you solve your problem.

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2024 1:16 PM in response to Lea_codreanu

This issue has been faced by many individuals but this is not something that can't be fixed, with right solutions applied it can be easily fixed, There could be several possible reasons why your AirPods are so quiet, and some here are some ways to fix them.

1. Turn off Low Power mode on your iPhone.
  2. Turn off “Reduce Loud Sounds” on your iPhone. This feature sets a maximum volume limit, which can make the AirPods sound too low.
  3. Check the microphone and speaker mesh on each AirPod. If you see any debris, clean your AirPods
  4. Reset Your AirPods.

But if none these solutions worked then visit this detailed guide that covers 9 ways to fix AirPods volume problems that are too quiet. I hope this helps you solve your problem.

Dec 1, 2023 12:47 PM in response to Lea_codreanu

I had the same issue and was able to greatly improve the volume following the steps below. Keep in mind, I am in no way a certified Apple repair technician. I don’t know if the steps will somehow damage my AirPods, but it worked for me. Use these steps at your own risk.

Basically, it came down to ear wax blocking the mesh speaker cover. You can use a brush or other objects to wipe it away, but this does not clear the wax that is deep within the mesh. I found this out by putting my mouth over the end of the AirPod and gently sucking. I noticed that there was almost no airflow Coming through the mesh. So, I took a Q-tip and doused it with rubbing alcohol. While holding the mesh towards the floor, I generously rubbed the mesh with the soaked Q-tip, and then took a dry Q-tip to wipe away the alcohol. I did this a few times to make sure it was thoroughly clean. Again, I placed my mouth over the end of the AirPod, and gently sucked to remove any excess alcohol, and to see if the airflow had improved: it had! Considerably I might add. While they may not be as loud as they were when I first purchased them, they are much better than before using the alcohol.

I hope that helps some of you guys out there.

Dec 1, 2023 12:03 AM in response to Lea_codreanu

I’m currently on my THIRD pair of these AirPods. The same thing that’s happened to your AirPods has happened to me with all three pairs. They last about 8-9 months and then the sound just goes and no amount of cleaning can save them. I’ve literally just been on the phone to someone while on a bus with my AirPods in and the person on the other end basically had to shout down the phone because I couldn’t hear a thing. Incredibly frustrating! Money down the drain. I’ll be going back to the original AirPods for my next pair.

Aug 8, 2023 1:37 PM in response to Lea_codreanu

Hello Lea_codreanu,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with the volume of your AirPods. Try the steps here to see if they resolve the issue: If your left or right AirPod isn't working - Apple Support

"If there's low volume in one AirPod

If your left or right AirPod isn't playing any sound, or if the volume is too quiet, follow these steps:

1. Check the microphone and speaker mesh on each AirPod. 
  2. microphone and speaker on an AirPod
  3. If you see any debris, clean your AirPods using the guidelines in this article, and see if that fixes the issue.
  4. Go to Settings > Accessibility > Audio/Visual > Balance, and make sure that the balance is set in the middle."

If the issue persists, try the reset here to resolve the issue: How to reset your AirPods and AirPods Pro - Apple Support

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Why is the volume on my AirPods so low?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.