Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Sapphire crystal Apple watch face

I own two Tissot watches with sapphire crystal faces that are over 20 years old and have no scratches on them. When I heard Apple Watch Series 8 had a sapphire crystal face, I was excited. Is that an accurate claim?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Aug 9, 2023 9:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2023 11:53 AM

Apple has offered a sapphire crystal going all the way back to the original watch but only on the stainless steel and titainium models.

See the bottom section here:

Wearing your Apple Watch - Apple Support

I can confirm they are pretty darn scratch proof.

13 replies

Aug 10, 2023 11:53 AM in response to HtetNaing1699

HtetNaing1699 wrote:

iMac 27″1. : The iMac 27-inch is a large desktop computer produced by Apple. As of my knowledge cutoff date in September 2021, the latest macOS version was macOS 11 (Big Sur). If macOS 12.6 is a future version, I would not have information about it. Please check the official Apple website or other reliable sources for updates beyond my knowledge cutoff date.
macOS 12.61. : As mentioned above, I am not aware of macOS versions beyond macOS 11 (Big Sur). If macOS 12.6 is indeed a future version, I recommend checking official Apple sources for information about its features, updates, and compatibility.

What does this have to do with the original poster's question?

Dec 4, 2023 12:04 PM in response to DarkRiver

I'm not aware of a medical technology that doesn't measure blood pressure without using a pressure cuff. That wouldn't be practical with a watch on your wrist.

BTW, if it makes a difference, Apple's sapphire crystals are synthetic rather than naturally occurring.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 14.1.2;  Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 10.1.1; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 17.1.2; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 17.1.2; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 17; HomePods, audioOS 17.1.1 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Aug 9, 2023 10:04 PM in response to Orvietana

1. Sapphire Crystal Apple Watch Face: Sapphire crystal is a high-quality and scratch-resistant material that Apple uses for the display covers of some of their products, including certain models of the Apple Watch. Watches with sapphire crystal displays are known for their durability and clarity. If you're referring to the sapphire crystal display on an Apple Watch, it's a premium feature that offers enhanced protection.
  2. iMac 27″: The iMac 27-inch is a large desktop computer produced by Apple. As of my knowledge cutoff date in September 2021, the latest macOS version was macOS 11 (Big Sur). If macOS 12.6 is a future version, I would not have information about it. Please check the official Apple website or other reliable sources for updates beyond my knowledge cutoff date.
  3. macOS 12.6: As mentioned above, I am not aware of macOS versions beyond macOS 11 (Big Sur). If macOS 12.6 is indeed a future version, I recommend checking official Apple sources for information about its features, updates, and compatibility.

Dec 4, 2023 7:34 AM in response to DarkRiver

DarkRiver wrote:

I have a series 6 iWatch with a Saffire crystal and I'm not particular easy on the device. After multiple year of abuse, it still doesn't have a mark on it. I'll never girt an dither apple watch without it.

I originally wasn't going to buy one with the sapphire crystal, but another user here, Lawrence Finch, suggested it would be a good idea. I also wouldn't buy one without it at this point. I tend to keep my watches for about three years or so.

Dec 4, 2023 8:16 AM in response to DarkRiver

DarkRiver wrote:

I’m not planning to upgrade my watch until they come out with one with blood pressure.

I'm hoping for glucose monitoring. I find it hard to imagine how a watch could accurately monitor BP (but I haven't really researched the technology). BP monitoring is something I only need to do once a day so, it's less critical for me.

Sapphire crystal Apple watch face

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.