Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Watch 9 is too dim at night

During the day the watch is bright when I lift it to look at it.

At dusk or in darkened rooms in the house, it has a difficult time brightening - it's very dim and unreadable.

Sometimes it will blink to bright for a second and then blink back to dim where it stays.

It doesn't seem like this is the way it's supposed to work and I have the brightness maxed.

Is there another setting to keep it at max brightness in all conditions - not just daylight? Or did I get a dud?

Thanks.

[Re-titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch Series 9

Posted on Sep 27, 2023 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2023 7:46 PM

I just bought a Series 9 and have the same issue- even after the watch update. Dims during low light … too low. Shine a flash light on it…it brightens. But then dims again. Apple please fix! I will return the watch. Let us the user be in control of brightness.

Similar questions

113 replies

Dec 7, 2023 10:34 AM in response to layne_staley123

It's December 7 and I haven't seen any new watch updates or fixes to this problem.

I'm surprised it isn't the most talked about problem. The watch simply is NOT visable in the dark or in dim lighting. It's not bright enough. It's SO dim. You can barely see it. Unless you shine a flash light on it...then it maximizes it's brightness for 5 seconds, but returns to a low light. I'm returning this before the January 2024 deadline unless Apple fixes asap. Put on your watch. Get in your car at night. Run to the grocery store. In a dark car you CANNOT read your watch. You can't read it outside in the dark either. It's crazy! Why isn't this all over the news?

Dec 8, 2023 11:56 AM in response to RandyJT

I hear your frustration, but my experience has been the opposite. I've never had an issue with an Apple computer, except the time, many years ago, when my Lombard Powerbook went up in smoke. Literally. Apple sent a new one overnight FedEx and it still works, decades later. It resides in my antique collection along with quite a few "no longer used but still works" Apple products.

My 16" MBPro was just fine but I 'downgraded' to a 15" MBAir only because it's a lot lighter, cooler runing, a little smaller, and equally as capable.

The Watch illumination thing is a PITA (pain in the ***, or arse for you folks not familiar with that) and I can't imagine Apple software developers are not working on a fix. It's a friggin few lines of code---the hardware controller works fine, just needs the right instructions. This is obviously not a priority for them. Let's keep hounding Apple to get this done.

Dec 29, 2023 9:09 AM in response to JTechEV22

Again, you missed the point: This SHOULD BE a user-adjustable setting. A simple toggle on/off or, better still, selectable by the amount of dimming. This is a five-minute (or less) code re-write. I mean there is already a toggle for "always on" and a slider for "brightness level", this is not a big ask! An even better solution would be to include a switch to control the dimming by watchface or app. That might take a little more time. 😀 After all this time and discussion, I find it difficult to believe that Apple has not addressed the issue.

Oct 20, 2023 6:01 PM in response to layne_staley123

The iPhone 13 inside Settings/Accessibility/Display and Text Size, has an option to switch on/off Auto-Brightness.

My iWatch series9 does not have that setting. Auto-Brightness switch should be added to the iWatch. Under the Auto-Brightness it would be more beneficial to have an extra setting, minimum brightness level. That would allow the screen to get brighter in sunlight if the Auto-Brightness was left on but also allow users to set their lowest brightness depending on their vision when the screen auto dims in dark settings.

Dec 8, 2023 9:41 AM in response to layne_staley123

Well, as I said earlier in this thread, I'm going to return this watch. And I did. Today. For a full refund.

This has been a problem with the Apple Watch long before the Series 9 based on what I have read.

Apple hasn't addressed or fixed the issue, and I doubt they ever will.

The quality of Apple products has declined over the years.

As I also said in my earlier post, I've had nothing but trouble with the 16" MacBook Pro.

I'm on the third one and it still has issues (see attached picture).

With that said, I'm done buying Apple products until they get their act together and start putting out quality products that work.

LISTEN UP APPLE!!!!!

Dec 29, 2023 8:51 AM in response to RandyJT

I did read through a couple of the complaints posted here. It all comes back down to the environment the watch is in. Auto brightness is a feature built into the watch, but unlike other Apple products it can’t be turned off. So eventually at some point, it will override a user’s brightness choice depending on the lighting in its environment. There’s not much more than can be done, at least to my knowledge. If you’d like, you can submit feedback to Apple here: Feedback - Watch - Apple

Oct 14, 2023 11:42 AM in response to ToyPoodlelover

I copied this to help with your question about who to complain to: "SO important that EVERYONE file a complaint under the feedback. I have files 2.

Same complaint but under "requests" and one under "hardware issue"... we really need to flood them to make any change happen!"

Some of the discussions are starting to reflect that this problem started in OS9 and OS10. If it is a simple tweak of the os and if it does not impact the battery life claims, Apple has made on the Ultra 2 , we may see a change in 10.2.

Apple Watch 9 is too dim at night

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.